DIY projector/box cooling recommendations.

FenFox

Limp Gawd
I'm using a wooden box to house a projector. This box will be sealed off with a lid on top because it will be outside and sometimes It'll rain. I've attached an image of the projector to show it's air intake and exhaust locations. I was going to install 2x air vents and 2x fans that'll plug into a power strip. Would these fans be fine, or should I get something like this?

Also, where would you place the fans? I assume one should be to the left of projectors air intake and the other location?

The box dimensions: 2ft 2" wide x 1ft 9" long.
Projector dimensions: 10" long x 1ft wide.

So It's going to be fairly roomy inside for some air flow, a power strip, media player and the cords.

Attachments

• Projector Air.png
    Projector Air.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using a wooden box to house a projector. This box will be sealed off with a lid on top because it will be outside and sometimes It'll rain. I've attached an image of the projector to show it's air intake and exhaust locations. I was going to install 2x air vents and 2x fans that'll plug into a power strip. Would these fans be fine, or should I get something like this?

Also, where would you place the fans? I assume one should be to the left of projectors air intake and the other location?

The box dimensions: 2ft 2" wide x 1ft 9" long.
Projector dimensions: 10" long x 1ft wide.

So It's going to be fairly roomy inside for some air flow, a power strip, media player and the cords.
second ones should be good, also quieter, and will run off the built in usb. 2 pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFZWV9FH
one on either side.

These fans you mean? Link And where should I have them positioned inside the box? Do you recommend fan filters?
were your links actually to amazon.ca? if so, just change mine from .com to .ca. mine always automatically flip so assumed yours were .com....
centered on the sides and mounted inside. wont hurt, especially outside.

were your links actually to amazon.ca? if so, just change mine from .com to .ca. mine always automatically flip so assumed yours were .com....
centered on the sides and mounted inside. wont hurt, especially outside.

Yah, I need .ca, but I clicked your old link just now and it seems like it's working. Link
The USB connections look kinda short though? Just trying to think if they'll be long enough to plug into a power strip. I'd need both of the fans mounted inside. None can go outside the box. So one fan on the side blowing toward the projector air intake and where should the other fan be placed?

Yah, I need .ca, but I clicked your old link just now and it seems like it's working. Link
The USB connections look kinda short though? Just trying to think if they'll be long enough to plug into a power strip. I'd need both of the fans mounted inside. None can go outside the box. So one fan on the side blowing toward the projector air intake and where should the other fan be placed?
k.

should be good:
1693438681476.png

one on either side in the middle inside, one blowing in, one out.
also, these are usb powered. does your projector not have usb ports? you shouldnt need a power strip for them, just the projector.

k.

should be good:
View attachment 595022

one on either side in the middle inside, one blowing in, one out.
also, these are usb powered. does your projector not have usb ports? you shouldnt need a power strip for them, just the projector.
I think I'm too retarded/tired to understand what you mean by the fan locations so I'm going to draw an image. Are the locations of the fans in the image fine or would you change them?
I need a power bar for the projector and media player. The projector doesn't have a USB port on it. I can just plug that fan into an old Apple USB charging brick that I'll plug into the power strip.

Attachments

• Projector Air Vent.png
    Projector Air Vent.png
    20 KB · Views: 0
I guess I don't know enough about cooling, but why the fan exhaust in the middle of the box when the heat blows more to the corner of the box? I guess it doesn't matter much.

tall box with a big ^ hat with outlet vents under the overhang,, fans a few inches up from the bottom blowing up, projector 2/3 up from the bottom. Mount with most of the bottom open a min of 4 feet off the ground or other flat surface.

yup. the fan will push air through and around the projector, the hot air coming out will mix and it will all get sucked out.

Ok, I finished building the box, but I have a few other questions if you wouldn't mind...

-The temperature inside the projector housing before I start the projector is 60 degrees...
-I put a lid on the top of the projector housing, turned the two fans on and left the projector playing videos for 2 hours and 30 minutes. The temperature inside the housing goes up to 81-82 degrees, Is this too hot?
-I have a third USB powered fan that I can place in the projector housing. What angle would you place it to blow? Do you think I need more/better ventilation? I can maybe cut out another piece of the housing at the front near the 120mm fan filter.

Tips appreciated. I'm just trying to tweak this so it doesn't shut down from being too hot.

Attachments

• End 81-82.jpg
    End 81-82.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Start 60.jpg
    Start 60.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 0
  • Projector Box.jpg
    Projector Box.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 0
you have the thermometer right in front of the exhaust on the projector, its gonna read higher. put it where the remote is

LOL, this reminds me of the early 2000s, I think, LumenLab dyi projector projects using any size LCDs, I think they actually released a projector you can buy.
Oh, never mind, I thought this was a DYI projector, not a housing box, silly me.

I'm looking at the manual to try and find out what the max temperature can be. I think this is it.... but somewhat confused by the wording. Is 95f the max or 86f the max?

Attachments

• Max Projector Temps.png
    Max Projector Temps.png
    57 KB · Views: 1
They're for differing altitudes. The first is for below 7500 feet and the second is for above. Probably goes without saying but, be sure to clean the fan filters and check the box regularly since it's outside.

They're for differing altitudes. The first is for below 7500 feet and the second is for above. Probably goes without saying but, be sure to clean the fan filters and check the box regularly since it's outside.
Is this site accurate? whatismyelevation . com says I'm at 496 ft. So 7500 feet is applicable to me I guess. If that's the case then as long as my projector doesn't reach 95f I should be good.

yup that^^. does the temp show lower in the other corner?
Haven't had time to test it yet because I wanted to make a change to the box before I do that. I'll maybe do it tonight. I did however have the projector running in my room (open space) and I put the thermometer next to the exhaust (same way I did in the box) and the temps went up to 110f. I know this isn't a very realistic test, but it goes to show the fans are putting in work.

I wanted to check with you guys about the placement of the 3rd USB fan before I test this again. Do you think putting a USB fan against this 120mm fan filter as another exhaust would be useful? Or where would you put it? The USB fan is smaller than the others, 3 and a half inches. Fan filter holes are fairly small but I imagine this should still help keep the projector housing a bit cooler. I'm just trying to think of something extra I can do before I test again as I'll be running the projector for at least a few hours.

Attachments

• Projector Box 2.jpg
    Projector Box 2.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 120mm Fan Filter & USB Fan.png
    120mm Fan Filter & USB Fan.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I did however have the projector running in my room (open space) and I put the thermometer next to the exhaust (same way I did in the box) and the temps went up to 110f. I know this isn't a very realistic test, but it goes to show the fans are putting in work.
no, that shows that your exhaust is that hot, not the temp in the box, which is what you need to worry about.
yes, more fans will help BUT you still dont know what the box temp is.
until you get an accurate reading, i wouldnt do anything, youre just guessing.

no... youre under 7500, so the first numbers apply. 35C is the max ambient temp.
Yeah, I'm under 7500 feet, but the wording says: "Up to" so I picked the temperatures in the first row. I mentioned 95f in my post which is 35c. So as long as the temperature in the box does not exceed 95f or 35c I'm good? I dunno, this is just the way I interpret what was written.

Yeah, I'm under 7500 feet, but the wording says: "Up to" so I picked the temperatures in the first row. I mentioned 95f in my post which is 35c. So as long as the temperature in the box does not exceed 95f or 35c I'm good? I dunno, this is just the way I interpret what was written.
yes. now move the thermometer, or better yet, get a digital one.

yes. now move the thermometer, or better yet, get a digital one.
I put a thermometer behind the projector and one to the back right of the projector where the remote was (where you told me to put it before) 78-81f were the temps running the projector for a little over 2 and a half hours. This acceptable cooling? Temps before I started were 60f.

Back