• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DIY mouse mat?

seancky2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
302
I have been looking on newegg for those big @ss mouse pads. As I was browsing, it came across to me that you could probably easily make one with a trip to a hobby store. Does anyone know what material is used to make these large mouse pads? I want something that will take up about half of my desk. Probably about 24 inches across and 12 inches wide. So, what material should I use and has anyone ever done a DIY mouse pad?
 
Well if you really want, you can check out the Ripper XXL, which is even larger than 24 inches wide :p.
 
I will buy one if there is no practical way to make one. That one is definitly on the top of the list though.
 
I would look at VoodooPC's old mats and figure out what they are made of. I remember people double used them as cutting boards, haha
 
what you want is a corepad XXXL i have one posted look it up here on Hard just type in corepad and youll see the pics
 
Hard - for an optical. I have been looking at this - http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/glowpad/index_eng

seems really cool. But, I am afraid that a clear plexiglass/acrylic mat wont work with an optical mouse. I will have to put some sort of cloth over it which brings me back to my original question, what type of cloth is best?

I have also read that teflon (sp?) is great for optical mice...such as cutting the bottom part of a freaking frying pan or cookie sheet lol...
 
OP: I fully blame you for the amount of googling I'm doing on interesting materials for DIY mouse pads. Looking at carbon fiber right now.
 
Not sure how well carbon fiber would work. You want something that will allow the mouse to glide, which is why Ratpadz (and a lot of other gaming pads) are made from various kinds of UHMW plastics.
 
12" x 18" foam mat from your local arts and crafts store. 99cents and they work great.
 
Hard - for an optical. I have been looking at this - http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/glowpad/index_eng

seems really cool. But, I am afraid that a clear plexiglass/acrylic mat wont work with an optical mouse. I will have to put some sort of cloth over it which brings me back to my original question, what type of cloth is best?

I have also read that teflon (sp?) is great for optical mice...such as cutting the bottom part of a freaking frying pan or cookie sheet lol...


You can buy sheets of teflon (PTFE), its not cheap though, I would only use it as the top layer.

24"x24"x.03" (609x609x.76mm) PTFE sheet here for $29.33
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=15357&step=4&showunits=inches&id=223&top_cat=181

Mcmaster has some adhesive backed PFTE sheets, but they're a bit more expensive.
 
Last edited:
OP: I fully blame you for the amount of googling I'm doing on interesting materials for DIY mouse pads. Looking at carbon fiber right now.

LOL i have been doing the same thing. Please report back here when you settle on a list :D
 
Humm carbon fiber and resin build it up at thick as you like or even use a core of acrylic just make sure there is enough resin on the use surface to make it smooth try that out see how a smooth resin surface feels with the mouse it might have too much friction you could then use sand paper to give it a texture probably an orbital with a about 800-1200 grit would be good not sure on this tho.

And some of the newer opticals can be used on glass the main thing that opticals need is some texture to see with frosting the glass would work...
 
Back
Top