• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DIY hardware for low-end NAS

x509

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
2,630
I have an old system that used to run Win XP, but is no longer in use. I was wondering if it would be feasible to re-purpose this system as a low-end NAS? I'm thinking about starting at 4-6 TB growing over time to 10-12 TB. spread across 2-3 drives plus parity drive. I know that i would need to put in a modern SATA card.

This system has a ASUS motherboard supporting dual CPU operation with AMD Athlon (?) in MP mode. It also has motherboard slots for double-width PCI cards.

If this is a feasible platform, then I can start to detail out my needs, and match that up with NAS OS's, probably Linux-based, that could run on this hardware.

If this above is not a good idea, what hardware, motherboard, CPU, etc, woudl I need for a low-end NAS?

Thanks.
 
Well I would get a killowatt meter (they are pretty cheap) and see how much the old system draws. If it's not a big deal then use that. Linux won't care either way. If the power is off the charts then consider going with new.

If you like Intel check out Avoton. I think Asrock as a unit at NewEgg.

If you like AMD check out the Athlon 5130/5350 + a board that supports ECC (I went this route and I'm still running tests).

Either solution will work.
 
Well I would get a killowatt meter (they are pretty cheap) and see how much the old system draws. If it's not a big deal then use that. Linux won't care either way. If the power is off the charts then consider going with new.

If you like Intel check out Avoton. I think Asrock as a unit at NewEgg.

If you like AMD check out the Athlon 5130/5350 + a board that supports ECC (I went this route and I'm still running tests).

Either solution will work.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top