DIY Fan Shroud?

KevinO

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking at cutting a hole in my side window and creating a shroud to my cpu fan (SI-97). Does anyone know of any guides, materials to use, and would a dremel be ok in cutting the side window (plexiglass, i'm not sure).

The cleanest cuts I ever got were from a "hole saw" which mounts to your drill. As for shroud material, I suppose I would start looking in the lighting department of Home Depot. They probably have some stuff for recessed celing lights that would look very smooth. Barring that the pluming department they probably have some PVC pipe that would do it, but you will need to get something to dress the edges. If you need a grill for the hole, look in the gutter department, for something like gutter screen that makes a very nice grill. Used it way back when I cut a 3" shroud through the front of a mid tower to the front case fan, K6-2 300 days.

half my computer upgrades involve DeWalt, Dremmel, Craftsman and Home Depot. The guys at Home Depot look at me weird when they ask me what my project is and I calmly explain how I'm trying to upgrade my computer.

Back