DIY case ideas?

SpasticTeapot

Limp Gawd
Hello, y'alls!
I am getting a new A64 system this October (I have been planning getting one for about 8 months now), but am too cheap to buy an expensive case. I'm no stranger to a Dremel, and was wondering if you had any ideas. I'm interested in a small ATX case with a handle, as I figure I would like to attend LANparties. I'm using a SLK-948U heatsink, so it has to have some clearance, although I'm not likely to need a dozen drive bays.
I have a LOT of thick mylar, if you can think of a use for it.
Thanks for your responses!

Disarray said:
It would be pretty easy and cheap to build a frame out of aluminum channel. Then you can insert you panels. You can see a few picks of how I did it here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=737864&page=1&pp=20
Nice job!
Out of curiousity, what is aluminum channel used for and where can I get it? I do'nt have welding equipment (or know-how) but I can solder, and I can probbably use bolts to hold the frame together.
I was thinking along the lines of an old ammunitions box-anyone know where to get one?
Thanks!

I bought the channel at home depot, pretty cheap stuff. It is all held together with rivits, easy to use.

ashed said:
Ammo boxes? Sure, take a look here . Hope that helps.

That's a damn good idea! I have 3 of those sitting in my garage right now. Need to get some money then I just might make a lan box out of it.

Interested in selling one? It's probbably going to be a pain to drill all the holes, but it'll look darn nice when it's done.

SpasticTeapot said:
Interested in selling one? It's probbably going to be a pain to drill all the holes, but it'll look darn nice when it's done.

Probably wouldn't beable to sell them; They were given to my dad from his uncle when he served in the military. I hope he lets me use one to mod it out.

Whatever you do, do it on "paper" first. I'm speaking from experience here, seeing as how a great idea of mine was scrapped mid-project due to a couple of design flaws that I might have caught if I planned it out first, instead of designing-on-the-fly. ;)

Back