DIY anti-static wristband?

CaptNumbNutz

Fully [H]
I have an anti-static wristband, and use it religously since my apartment is completely carpeted and I have zapped a video card before. Since I started using it, I have not had any ESD zapped gear. *knocks on wood*

I have a couple problems with it, and I haven't found a decent replacement at any of my local shops.

Problem #1
The strap is too short, and its curled so it has a sort of tension in it, like a telephone handset cord.

Problem #2
Finding a decent place to clip it onto. The alligator clip on it doesn't grip too well. Combine this with the other problem above, and it comes unclipped easily.

Can I extend the wire by splicing a longer wire too it?
It would be soldered and heatshrinked of course.

Instead of using the alligator clip, can I solder the wire to the ground wire of a spare 3 prong AC power cord?
The other two wires would be removed and their respective plugs insulated...
I could plug it in and leave it, and with the longer wire, have a larger range of motion.

Modifying my current one would be cheaper than buying a new one, and give me these features I need.

You should be just fine with both of those mods. We're talking about minuscule amounts of current here anyway, so the resistance of the wire is of no great importance. Just be careful making that suicide cord--you don't want to be hooked up to the wrong conductor.

Where I work they use ESD mats.. these mats have grounded connectors that have places to plug in your wrist strap.

If you really want a work area that is ESD safe this is a more professional way.

Here's is just the first example I found.
http://www.esdproduct.com/ESD_Worksurface_Mat.php

edit: Just to further explain, that cord connected to the mat grounds it. The circular part that is connected to the mat has 2 jacks on it that you can't see in the photo. The wristband has a "banana jack" err kinda like a microphone jack and you plug into the mat itself.

I've never used any ESD protection in the last 15 years and I've never zapped anything.. I've never completely been convinced of ESD related failures.

I've never used any ESD protection in the last 15 years and I've never zapped anything.. I've never completely been convinced of ESD related failures.

same here.. except i've only worded with eletronics for the past 6 years or so..

same here.. except i've only worded with eletronics for the past 6 years or so..

I'm sure I'll be castigated for this, but I kinda group ESD stuff into the foil cone hat category. :D
As I said in the first post, I actually HAVE fried something with ESD. Dry winter's day, on the carpet in my bedroom, changing my video card.

I was installing an aftermarket cooler on my Geforce FX (to get rid of the leaf blower) and zapped it. I even saw the little spark hit one of the chips near the DVI connector.
Plugged it in...black screen. The silver lining to the story...it was an FX and deserved to be zapped.:D
You should be just fine with both of those mods. We're talking about minuscule amounts of current here anyway, so the resistance of the wire is of no great importance. Just be careful making that suicide cord--you don't want to be hooked up to the wrong conductor.

I agree. Gotta make it foolproof.
THANKS MOHONRI.
Oh, don't worry, I know not to touch the hot leads.;) Those two plugs will be completely insulated with heatshrink and lots of electrical tape.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't adding any electrical resistance that would impede the functionality of the strap to begin with.

Where I work they use ESD mats.. these mats have grounded connectors that have places to plug in your wrist strap.

If you really want a work area that is ESD safe this is a more professional way.

Here's is just the first example I found.
http://www.esdproduct.com/ESD_Worksurface_Mat.php
One of the purposes of modding my current wrist strap is to save some money. If money can be saved without risking my hardware, then I succeeded.;)

An anti-static wristband isn't anything more than a piece of wire with a current limiting resistor (usually ~1M) inline. The resistor is the safety feature that prevents dangerous levels of current flowing through your body. Because the current levels of any static charges are so small, they are not impeded by the resistor.

You can go ahead and make it as long as you'd like... there's no special materials involved. Any resistance of the wire is rather insignificant compared to the 1Meg resistor. The band itself is probably the most important aspect of the design, so you get good skin contact.

An anti-static wristband isn't anything more than a piece of wire with a current limiting resistor (usually ~1M) inline. The resistor is the safety feature that prevents dangerous levels of current flowing through your body.
For instance, after accidentally touching something at mains voltage; the last thing you want to be is well-earthed. :eek:

Back