DivX Sues Yahoo Over Canceled Ad Deal

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more of this in the coming weeks as Yahoo scrambles to get its ship together. The good news is that the company’s stock is up about 10% after Yang announced he was stepping down as CEO.

DivX Inc., a video technology company, late Monday said it cut its earnings and revenue projections because Yahoo Inc. would not honor a two-year advertising deal, and it sued the Internet search company. DivX shares dropped 61 cents, or 11 percent, to $4.92 in after-hours trading. The stock closed the regular session down a penny at $5.53.

I wonder what caused them to pull out of the deal and try to rework it.

7.06% steve ;) Stocks rose 15% on rumors to his departure... must be pretty sucky.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=YHOO

But it's not like raising a stock on a near bankrupt company is that hard, expectency is low from yahoo.

oh c'mon, no advertising is going to make divx profitable again... there is a free, superior codec xvid.. coupled with the fact its a last gen codec which is far outstripped by h.264.... erg.... i suppose betamax is going to sue somebody next...

I just visited Yahoo.com. It's full of garbage.

Then I visited Google.com - No garbage.

Oh yeah...DviX is bloat

...I mean c'mon.

Type in something like coffee and you've got to scroll half way down the page before you even get to wiki. You can't take Yahoo's search seriously.

On the plus side of Yahoo, I do like Yahoo mail for crap web site registrations but I use gmail for more serious stuff.

I'm just saying that they have a search site without garbage.

I use Google and Live myself, so I have no clue what Yahoo results are like nor do I have any desire to find out :-P

oh c'mon, no advertising is going to make divx profitable again... there is a free, superior codec xvid.. coupled with the fact its a last gen codec which is far outstripped by h.264.... erg.... i suppose betamax is going to sue somebody next...

At the same time though, if they paid Yahoo for ad space and Yahoo never gave them add space they have a right to sue. That is no different than you paying somebody to do some work on your house and they never show.

I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more of this in the coming weeks as Yahoo scrambles to get its ship together. The good news is that the company’s stock is up about 10% after Yang announced he was stepping down as CEO.

Come on... you can't attack a Goliath. On the flip side, doesn't take more than 1 wrong move to level a company.

At the same time though, if they paid Yahoo for ad space and Yahoo never gave them add space they have a right to sue. That is no different than you paying somebody to do some work on your house and they never show.

Well said exavoir, a contract is a contract. If you pull out of it like yahoo did then expect repercussions. There will probably be more suits just like this as yahoo scrambles to get their feet planted again.

Back