DIVX on ps3 woot

Awesome news! Especially since I am just setting my server up to connect to my ps3. :D

Isn't the divx release to be with the release of Home to be able to play content properly?

just divx.. I don't think they are doing xvid yet, but they should just do everything for the sake of competion

DivX and XviD are both MPEG-4 ASP implementations (DivX is not free, XviD is), so this support should handle them both nicely.

Only thing that makes me wary is that this is from the "real" DivX guys (divx, inc), which means it probably also supports that fucking retarded .divx container they introduced w/ DivX 6 when they realized XviD had surpassed 'em years ago.

I don't think it will suffer from any decoding limitations (profiles and such either), like the old set-tops did (no GMC, Q-PEL or B-VOPs). Either way, awesome for me, I've got a large fileserver with a lot of TV episodes. :D

I wonder if the PSP is powerful enough to play Divx.

More than enough, when you consider that old P2s could handle ~dvd-res resolution playback, and that the PSP has a vector unit intended just for this. It can play H.264, so it can definitely handle DivX.

Why did I read 15+ articles about the "possibility" of the X360 getting Divx and then all of a sudden Plop the PS3 gets it as if nobody in the press cared about that fact.

haha, oh well.

Back