divx codec, vista, performance

Cirkustanz

Limp Gawd
I have always preferred to use winamp for playing divx movies. Tv shows, whatever. I'm currently running an athlon64 3200+ with 2gigs of ram, 7600gt, and vista home premium 32bit.

Performance of video playback is horrible now. The framerate is really bad, and it's as if I'm playing video on a pentium 2 or something.

Playback performance is fine in windows media player, although CPU usage is MUCH higher than it should be. Some videos are upside down o will not play.

Clearly, I am having codec issues.

I've tried 4 packs of divx codec packs now, and they all have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Which packs have you tried?

I'm a big fan of CCCP. You'll want to uninstall all of your codecs first, then install.

VLC won't output to winamp, but it is handy becuase it doesn't need codecs and does all of the work itself...

KLite, The one from the divx website, ffdshow tryouts, and something else that I can't forget.

WinAMP, for movies? UGH. That's your main issue right there, seriously, twice over, with whipped cream on top. Doesn't matter what version of WinAMP, it's not a video player, it's an audio player primarily and at that it excels, but it's turned craptastic over the years trying to do it all, and it fails in that respect.

Media Player Classic for any and all video playback duties in Vista (there is a special version of MPC called MPC Cinema Edition too with added features, and there's even a 64 bit version also) and the FFDShow codec - that is all that's required to play maybe 98% of the video content available on the planet today.

Seriously.

One tiny single .exe media player, and one tiny .dll codec will play back 98% of the video content you can download or acquire on the Internet right this second.

The other 2%? Real Media format and QuickTime, which FFDShow does not handle. Anything else, from DivX to XviD, from MPEG-1 to MPEG-4 and h.264, and everything in around and between. MPC with that one single codec will play it all. FLV (Flash Video) too from YouTube, Google Video, etc.

There really is no better solution for efficiency and simplicity.

One player, one codec, 98% of the videos you can watch.

You do the math. :D

And that player sucks at making your own window size, and the ease of playlist integration.

The interface is everything.

WMP is what I am using right now, and I really don't like it's interface. :(

I'm a big fan of MPC...

Have you tried to see if CCCP fixes your issues yet?

The acronyms, they're taking over!

Yeah, the issue is still there.

I think I'm going to give up on it. Two more weeks + shipping time, and the apparent performance hit won't matter at all.

I'm glad I found this thread, I recently switched to vista 64, and I just got a new zune. I was hoping to use WME 9 64bit version, but it wont let me encode with it. I even installed the 64bit Klite codec pack. It says missing codec. I was trying to convert an xvid to wma with it. I can still use the 32 bit version but I read there was a decent performance boost with the 64bit version. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you stripped out ALL of your video codecs? Have you tried reinstalling Winamp? (Though I'd never use it for video... Not that I've tried it in YEARS.)

Seriously... Winamp... WTF mate?

Skinn, can't help. I've been using CCCP for a while now, which as far as I know uses FFDShow.

Back