Diving into my first custom loop setup

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
Finally decided to jump into a custom loop build for my rig (see sig). I am looking to cool my 2600x on a Asrock Taichi x470, and 2 GTX Titan Xp graphics cards. I did use the EKWB Configurator but I did notice that it lacks an option to add a drain port, what parts do I need to add this to the rig? I already have plenty of Corsair ML120 fans (5 of them)

EKWB G 1/4" EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel 3-Slot Graphics Water Block - Black

PrimoChill PrimoFlex 3/8" (10 mm) x 1/2" (13 mm) Advanced LRT Tubing 10 ft. - Crystal Clear

EKWB G 1/4" Straight Compression Fitting - Nickel x10

EKWB CryoFuel Pre-Mixed Coolant 900 ml - Clear

EKWB ATX Bridging Plug 24-pin

EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Dual)

EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual)

EKWB EK-FC GTX 1080 Ti Water Block - Nickel x2

EKWB EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate - Nickel x2

EK EK-Supremacy EVO RGB AMD Water Block - Nickel

EK EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM Reservoir with Pump

Here's a link to the parts I have in my cart, I am looking to source the parts from my local MicroCenter.

7DhkgfZ.png

Nice shopping list. A lot of costly EK parts there. I wonder if a single D5 pump will have enough grunt for CPU, 2x1080, a 240 rad and a 360 rad though. D5 pumps are good but... The tubing looks to be the thin wall stuff. I'm going with the primoflex 3/8x5/8 one myself. My parts are gathered from a lot of no-name and other chinese vendors (my loop will NOT be pretty, but will be functional).

Last edited:
Yeah I have this thread posted over on overclock.net too. I've already switched out fittings and tubing for 3/8x5/8" stuff from a recommendation over there.

If your case can house it, run two loops. Would look very cool with two res/pumps using different colored coolants and would also perform great.

You'll be glad you did once you're done. I built my water setup around 12 years ago and I'm still using it!

You'll be just fine on a single D5 pump. The D5 is a very powerful design and very reliable. My originality setup was two nvidia 7900GTO's and an opteron 165 all overclocked to the point of stupid. Have a 360mm x 120 mm rad and back then I used a water block I built myself with a drill press and a block of copper in the garage.

It'll be fine lol.

One consideration: do you want to keep your parts as long as possible? I'm kinda cheap so for me yes. Even old water parts are still very capable with modern hardware.

My pump, GPU block and CPU block were all used when I got them. They still hold up well today. Same rad, same old reservoir. The CPU block is a swiftech apogee GT that I had to modify to fit skylake.

The GPU block is where you might want to think a little. I'm still using a swiftech MCW-60 block. It cools only the GPU. Copper heatsinks were added to ram and vregs. Well nvidia hasn't changed their mounting holes in all these years....with a full coverage block you'll have to buy a new one with every new card.

If that doesn't bother you, hey to each their own. The GPU block started on the 7900GTO (second was sold when I dropped sli), then an ati 4750, 5770, 6850 and now on a gtx970. It's served me well and is more than enough to keep my 970 cool.

Back