Diving in head first...

Well, my question is fairly short, but I wanted input from those who know _a lot_ more than I do.

I am looking to delve into Zabbix/Nagios, MPLS, BGP, IS-IS, IPv6, Multicast and OSPF. Beyond reading various sources already, how would you guys and gals approach this?

I have access to more than a few systems, I should have a pfSense box up, etc etc.

What sort of path makes sense to you?

Thanks!

So what are you wanting to do? Are you wanting to learn these items? How much networking experience do you have? I'd start with the CCENT/CCNA and go from there.

Not looking to collect certs, wanting to gain functional knowledge and inter workings.

Networking experience prior to this push to gain knowledge, I would say amateur.

Why not get the certs? You need the foundations and CCNA gives you that with the material. It would give you motivation to keep pushing as well. If you are putting in the effort you may as well go for the certs. If you don't understand CCNA topics you will have great difficulty understanding those other topics.

Keep in mind that CCNA is not the only way, JNCIA is also an alternative and many companies uses Juniper equpment instead of Cisco etc.
//Danne

Last edited:
Start with Cisco gear. Buy some routers and switches, or use Dynamips/GNS3 or IOU. Learning PFSense or some other random SOHO platform isn't going to do much for you professionally. You'll get the fundamentals, which is great, but you won't gain much marketability with bigger shops.

Trust me .. unless you can understand the OSI layers first, you are far off from BGP. But then again I have no idea what you know.

If you do venture down the nagios path, take a look at the backwards compatible fork 'icinga'.

^^^ Go incinga.

Juniper equipment is good, and JUNOS is a more natural language than Cisco IMHO, and you can always find yourself an Olive if you look in the right places.

As to get functional knowledge you need to understand Networking Basics, a minimum theoretical knowledge is required to advance in functional knowledge.

Let say you have to repair your car, and the mechanic says that he changed the motor but he cant tell you why, you will probably say that he is the worst mechanic.

You dont HAVE to do Cisco exams but at least read the CCENT and CCNA books and training, it will give you a good start. Comptia certifications cover more basic computer science.

Youtube Comptia and there is a lot of free stuff about computers and networking, covering practical and theoretical knowledge.

I agree, you might as well grab the certs. ICND1 CCENT will teach you all of the basics about networking, I'd start there.

if you dont want to go cisco specific on certs, at least do your CCENT. Its the best of the basic networking certs IMO.

If you want an easy cert to stick on a resume, get your security+ cause holy shit its easy.

Other than that, all the vendors offer something you can learn from and gain knowledge from. You just have to figure out what you want to focus on once you actually get the basics

I took a bootcamp style network certification for HP networking. I've already worked with HP stuff quite a bit.

It was probably the most valuable class I've ever taken. The instructor was very knowledgeable and pretty much talked about whatever we wanted (within reason). We learned more about RIP in an hour than any previous reading I'd done.

It was 5 days of material boiled down to 2 days. Perfect for me, I didn't have to spend 8 hours doing boring labs on technology I already knew.

So if you can manage to get into some bootcamp type classes, I'd go for it.

for me.. Everything I know about Network (LAN, WAN, Wireless, ...) I’ve learned from others especially from my great bosssss.

Back