Divine Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
I took the plunge with this game during the Steam sale and I am very glad I did. For anyone who might be interested in a deep RPG waiting on Skyrim I'd suggest this little gem. The game itself is based on the Gamebro engine (Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.) and does look like it without the game breaking bugs Bethesda is known for. It actually plays a lot like a combination of games;

• World of Warcraft (Quest Icons, Humor, Class Playability, etc.)
• Diablo (Item drops, enemies do not respawn, etc.)
• The Witcher (mouse clicking, alchemy, etc.)

Now I give WoW a lot of flak in threads usually because I had well over 225 days played on one toon alone and played for over 3 maybe 4 years. But WoW did have traits that I simply loved about it namely the way characters played and easy quest structure/symbols. DKS takes all of those good traits and implements them well here imo.

On my PC it runs very well however I did turn off moving shadows and put them on low because these fancy shadow effects actually look much worse than when set to low in my opinion. I do this with other games as well; developers have a long way to go before they get shadows right imo.

The game can be brutal at times with ambushes and straying off into a higher level area without really knowing it and animations could be better (facial animations especially) along with voice overs although for the amount of voice over work it works.

Character development is where this game branches off a bit from other games. There are 3 primary classes’ warrior, ranger, and mage. These are self-explanatory but in reality all that really means is that you can make use of those weapons and gear more effectively because all of the talent trees are open for any class. Your warrior could summon ghosts/demons or have expert ranged defenses if you wish. It's the ultimate hybrid solution to make any type of character you really wish.

The other notable things are mind reading and dragon form. Mind reading is exactly what it sounds like and is similar to cohersion I guess without the chances. You can read anyone’s mind for a certain amount of XP and the benefits could be anything from finding out someone’s wife is cheating on them or finding out a location for someone’s treasure. It can also allow you to lower NPC prices depending on the situation.

Dragon form is almost a different game all together, your dragon form stats are different than human form and the talent tree is nowhere near as deep as human form but the game mainly takes place while in human form from my understanding.

You also have minions once you complete some quests. Minions are basically built with different body parts from downed enemies. In the earlier parts of the game the body parts are from trolls. After you kill a troll they may drop a head, legs, arms, etc. and you can use those to return to the necromancer to complete your minion.

The puzzles in this game are sometimes a pain in the ass though; they can range from platforming all the way to Uncharted like puzzles but nothing on the level like Myst or Riven. Sometimes they can be cheap like a different shade of grey on the wall or trying to find a key for a special locker and lock picking will not open which is annoying when your frustrated trying to progress further into the game.

The negatives are what you might expect from this level of game. While you can modify the world or path the game takes you a bit this is nothing like the Witcher 2. The game is not linear and has an abundance on side quests with pretty good variety. The voice acting has its faults and the lip syncing is not perfect by any means.

One that that is definitely worth mentioning is that I killed chickens at level 1 with one kick and at level 15 I can still kill chickens with one kick. Enemies do not scale with you! Also this game is out on the 360 and on the PC I really couldn't see any form of consolitis to be frank the options have many different things that can be customized including setting max fps from 30-100 and turning shadow movement on or off AA, AF, 4 levels of shadows, tree quality, grass quality, Depth of Field, etc. etc. Also has custom key binds among other things.

Overall so far I am impressed and it has filled that RPG void I had after The Witcher 1. I also purchased the Witcher 2 but started on DKS first. The DKS lasts anywhere from 60-80 hours from what I have read and that was with one play through so you could always go back with different classes.

From the little I have played I would definitely say this game is an 85/100 if only because of the lower production values. It was definitely worth the 20 dollars I paid for it and is currently at Amazon for 32 dollars digital download.

If anyone else has played either version and has more input I'd be glad to hear it or if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
The quests (especially in the expansion) were some of the most imaginative and often hilarious quests I've ever done. I never got the feeling that they were just phoning in quests like "FETCH ME TEN CAT ASSES" or whatever. The quests were actually crafted with love.

Also,

MAXOS!

I purchased it during the last Steam Christmas sale, but haven't had time to get to it. I keep going back to Empire Total War, Europa Universallis 3 and Heart of Iron 3. Shoot, I finally got around to finishing Fallout New Vegas. Just don't have the time to game as much as I would like too. I'll get around to it soon, as it sounds like a lot of fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. You forgot the necro class though. Or did that come with the add-on? Anyways, I need to replay again one day with a different class. And yes fattypants, that was hilarious!

damn I clicked this thread thinking it was about the other dragon knight.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. You forgot the necro class though. Or did that come with the add-on? Anyways, I need to replay again one day with a different class. And yes fattypants, that was hilarious!

There is no necro "class". Fighter, Mage, Ranger. Though you can spec your character however you want. I usually went melee demon summoner. All classes can summon an undead pet if you do the quest for it.

Yeah, that game was a blast. I also like how things were handled at later levels with loot management and collecting the the necessary ingredients for this or that. Really liked the whole loots dropping, loot collecting, harvesting, crafting system after a certain point where you earn it.

Story is well thought out. Not a simple here is your bad guy, go kill him at the end of the game.

Now you have me pissed that I didn't pick it up during the sale. Ah well, I've got plenty to keep myself busy. I'll definitely pick it up when its back on sale.

I almost bought the thing on sale, too. Maybe next time. I'm intrigued.

Anyone else have a non-centered HUD in eyefinity? WSGF had said it auto-centers, but it appears that feature was broken in the Steam pack.

The Hud is centered on my displays. I tried it both with the montitors in landscape and portrait. I am running 11.6 driver.

Divinity II takes a long hard look at what other RPGs do wrong and tries VERY hard not to do those things.

Another thing I should mention is the AA in this game is somewhat broken. AA can be forced in the control panel however with certain AA levels there are issues with polygonal tearing and the infamous black pixels showing up around objects and especially on the ground textures.

The ingame AA is not normal AA it's a post processing effect much like what GTA IV did so that should just be disabled because it is worthless. The Depth of Field only applies to character interactions meaning not while playing only while speaking with NPC's.

Since this is an RPG Morphological AA should not be used (in regards to AMD cards) however MLAA at 2x or possibly 4x does not appear to have any issues but as soon as you move up to Adaptive, SSAO or Edge Detect versions there are graphical anomolies in the game.

That said, I believe this is still an incredible game and can be found online cheaper than MSRP still (Amazon, Gamestop, etc.). The developers are active in their forums and still support users having issues which usually relate to the engine they used.

I wish the Divinity II Wiki was more indepth like wowhead but it does not have anywhere near the user base to support it.

The Hud is centered on my displays. I tried it both with the montitors in landscape and portrait. I am running 11.6 driver.

Are you running the Steam version of Divinity II -- The Dragon Knight Saga?

This game has kept my attention for over 10 hours now and i've yet to hit the big plot point. I personally find this to be awesome, seems like a longer game. I'm addicted to open world and this delivers; while still always reminding you where the plot is at.

Also, it's hard. Could just be my build but I find myself dying more in a 30 minute period than entire playthroughs of other RPG's.

The most survivable build is Ranger, if you go Melee you'll need to build your character carefully to survive battles.

yeah, melee is tough at the beginning, but as you progress you'll be a melee beast. Sometimes it's best to just start out with a +20 dmg enchanted bow, even if you don't plan to put points into those skills. After several levels, you can put on those dual wield swords and tear through everything.

Btw, (I didn't know this) you want to find (even from the store) a weapon with + to damage or magic damage, then extract that enchantment. You can use that to craft into any weapon.

I am a dual weilding warrior and adding attributes to Dual Weilding, Life Leech, Bleed, and Health Regen makes for some fun. I added some points into summoning and got my "pet" so my down time is fairly low with 2 pet's (summoned and created). At the begining it sucked hard because I had to eat all the time and go through a lot of health pots. Now it's not as bad. I still have to but not nearly as much as before which could take quite awhile.

I wish there was first aid as well as alchemy so I could make bandages but that's the WoW coming out in me.

DKS is also easier than the original because they gave you some armors in the begining and changed the difficulty around a bit.

Its the expansion plus a remastered original in one. They fixed some bugs and smoothed out the progression, plus other things i dont remember. Much better buy, and it gives the game an actual ending unlike just playing it without the expansion.

Ohhh, I see. Thank you.

Now I don't remember which one I started... as there is the option for both and I'm 18+ hours in now. hmm.

Ok.

Holy.

Crap.

So i'm about 40 hours in now and I thought I beat the game twice then there's some serious wtf! moments that leave you looking at the screen in a daze thinking in your head "NO!!!! DO NOT SHOW ME THE CREDITS" and then it let's you continue. :)

I'm loving this. It's still going, I fully expect the 60-80 hours to be true.

If you get an item with a good enchantments and lousy stats, or an item with good stats but lousy enchantments, KEEP THEM. You can pull enchantments out of items and bind them to other equipment after you get into the tower.

Ohhh, I see. Thank you.

Now I don't remember which one I started... as there is the option for both and I'm 18+ hours in now. hmm.
If the entire game takes place in a single city, you're playing the expansion. Otherwise, you're playing the original game.

I really want to play this game, but does it still have SecuROM? If they patch that out I might consider getting it on sale at some point.

I really want to play this game, but does it still have SecuROM? If they patch that out I might consider getting it on sale at some point.

All it ever was was a DVD check, and I am not sure if the Steam version has it or not. I have it on Steam and have never had an issue. I'd look into it but I'm at work the Steam forums might have an answer but I thought Larian was going to remove it. I believe they had to go through the publishers to make it happen.

Get the Dragon Knight Saga version. It combines the original + expansion and includes graphics updates and rebalanced stuff.

+1 for this game. I got it during the Steam sale too. I'm level 14 now and having a blast.

Well I have about 60 hours in and I must say the game has been a real treat. I swear it reminds me of a single player WoW especially as a warrior. My only complaint might be that Dragon form could have used more work since it feels kind of tacked on.

Also for some reason my intro videos are laggy and stutters. No idea why but it's annoying. I even have it installed on my SSD.

The voice acting is not on the level of witcher 2 or dragon age; but other than that it seems ok. I just left the first village; had no clue if i wanted to be a ranger mage or warrior; i guess I'll try tossing a few fireballs and if that doesn't work out go back.
-
One thign I don't understand from the intro story is that i'm a dragon slayer; so i will be killing dragon knights - those who can turn into dragons. Will it explain later on why I can turn into a dragon and slay myself ?

One thign I don't understand from the intro story is that i'm a dragon slayer; so i will be killing dragon knights - those who can turn into dragons. Will it explain later on why I can turn into a dragon and slay myself ?
You'll find out soon enough :D

Weird. Just got and installed, game starts fine. Intro videos are fine. Then when its time to choose your character all I get is the box to choose if it's male/female/whatever. If I go through that, all I get is the HUD. Everything else is just black. 6850 all lastest drivers and such. Anyone else get this?

Did you patch the game? This happened to me when the game was released, but a patch fixed it.

All it ever was was a DVD check, and I am not sure if the Steam version has it or not. I have it on Steam and have never had an issue. I'd look into it but I'm at work the Steam forums might have an answer but I thought Larian was going to remove it. I believe they had to go through the publishers to make it happen.

Same here. No problems with Borderlands on Steam whatsoever.

It will take a lot for me to not buy this on day one.

Back