ditch 460GTx for Physx

QKSILVR73

Limp Gawd
Just bought a MSI N780 Lightning to replace two 460 GTX in SLI. Should I just run the 780 with one 460 or ditch the 460. Power draw isn't a factor so I don't care one way or another in that regards or heat for that matter.

Just wanting to know if I'll have any benefit with it at all.

So I ran the PLA Game benchmark for Physics

Ran at 1920x1080 with all settings on High with post processing on and 16xQ CSAA

Ran the 780 with Physx on just by itself with 460 GTX disabled.

Average 66.1 fps
Max 126.1 fps

Ran the next test with 780 with 460 as the dedicated Physx card.

Average 94.6 fps
Max 152.6 fps

A noticeable improvement I'd say.

QKSILVR73, very interesting. Do you have Batman Arkham City? I would like to see those benchmark results!

I'm wondering though; you have a noname 750w? No power problems? I have a 660w Seasonic, and I'm thinking about buying a 780 and use a 660 for physx. But I'm not sure the PSU can handle that.

Also, what about microstutter? Does a separate Physx card introduce microstutter, like SLI?

I may end up doing the same thing very soon. My system is really starting to show its age now but instead of going all out on a new rig, I figure I'll just slap a current gen GPU into it & call it the day. Since I don't multi monitor yet & will wait until 4K gaming becomes a standard before building a new system. I'll be using a 470 instead though since that is what I currently have in my rig.

QKSILVR73, very interesting. Do you have Batman Arkham City? I would like to see those benchmark results!

I'm wondering though; you have a noname 750w? No power problems? I have a 660w Seasonic, and I'm thinking about buying a 780 and use a 660 for physx. But I'm not sure the PSU can handle that.

Also, what about microstutter? Does a separate Physx card introduce microstutter, like SLI?

I don't have Batman. Bought the MSI off of a Ebay seller brand new. But didn't include the games. Maybe I'll buy it soon.

As far as my Power supply, it's a PC Power and cooling 750w. It's almost 5 years old and still holding up nicely. Even with a 4.5 Overclock on my i5.

Back