Distributed Computing Demo/Sample Workloads (Retro Beowulf, Win HPC, etc)

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I have a very vague request since I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I'm hoping someone could give me some inspiration.

I'm fascinated with distributed computing and was hoping to play around with some retro distributed computing frameworks such as Beowulf or Server 2003 HPC. (OS doesn't matter) I'd be interested in seeing how to build out a cluster and how additional nodes improve performance.

Do benchmarking, demo, or sample workloads exist? This would all be local (internet based services wouldn't work), using a combo of old server hardware (~2001 era) and VMs. I've tried searching, but I realize I'm being very vague. I could write a custom app that does it, but I was wondering if anything already exists. I'm not really trying to build anything of value, I'm just interested in exploring.

I was thinking an example would be weather, engineering, protein simulation, but would all be run locally (not connected to the internet). Does something like 3dmark exist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What are you trying to accomplish? The OS/server selection is highly tied to the agenda. For example, most DC projects have moved to using either in house servers/clients or use BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing). BOINC is open source but you would need to have work that can be spliced up or sent in small work units to distribute to all the clients. They also have a test app built in that doesn't really do anything but waste cycles. I would highly encourage you to actually look at the current list of projects and possibly volunteer to help one of them so that you can learn the ins and outs of it. Also, You may want to join the BOINCNetwork Discord as it has a few BOINC developers that hang out in there. https://discord.gg/QYpTrMDj

Back