• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Distributed but collective software

h41cyon

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
117
Just a random question.


Does there exist any software out there for any platform that would allow me to use multiple computers networked together to complete a single computational task.

for example, say I have a movie I wish to encode in xvid. I want to know if there is an application out there that I can load up and it will act like a kernel, if u will, where I could then load up a xvid encoding program. This special kernel would take chunks of the computation required for this encode and dish each chunk out to a computer that's connected and then essemble the peices on the fly back onto one computer again.

Does anything like this exist? And not just Xvid encoding, could be other things too..
 
yes clustering seems to be the ticket,

Can anyone sugg any for windows that are pretty easy to get into?
 
h41cyon said:
Can anyone sugg any for windows that are pretty easy to get into?
No and no. Most of these programs are not easy or user-friendly. It's not a simple problem, and nobody has managed to simplify it to this level yet.

 
I know nothing about clustering, etc, but how about this: use some sort of splitter program to divide the movie into several parts, and send one each to a machine. Let them encode that part,and then splice all the completed segments back together again?

Check doom9.org for programs you can use...
 
Back
Top