Distance between modem and router?

Howie

Limp Gawd
I have moved things around and have a new location for my modem. The modem is a bit aways from my gear which is only a problem logistically if I want to run wired connections.

My question is whether there is an optimal distance between the modem and router. I have a DSL connection and I know the length of the telephone cable needs to be pretty short. But what about the cable between modem and router? Can you get away with running a router far away from the modem?

As long as it's within the ethernet spec of 100 meters you shouldn't have an issue. Although ideally it is always nice to have the modem right there with the rest of the network gear.

As long as it's within the ethernet spec of 100 meters you shouldn't have an issue. Although ideally it is always nice to have the modem right there with the rest of the network gear.

the plus for trouble shooting....

Thanks, I'm considering running a long cable (~40 feet) from the modem to the router and then running wired connections to my gear.

Like the others have said, 40 feet will not be a problem at all.

Personally I keep my router and modem together. I ran one cat5e across the house and plopped a switch on the other end. That way I can keep the router in a centralized location for WiFi, ports in the living room, etc... If you just want 100 Mb LAN speeds without managed switch functionality, they are dirt cheap right now. Just food for thought in case you end up having wired equipment scattered everywhere.

Last edited:
Back