Dissect my loop...

deff

2[H]4U
Hello!

So, I think I'm ready to try my hand at putting together a custom loop. I've used AICs in the past, and while they're great and all, I want to do something different.

My goal isn't to put together anything extreme; I just want a simple loop that is relatively easy to maintain and does a decent job at keeping things in check while keeping system noise to a minimum. I have a basic idea of what I need to buy and how to put all of the pieces together effectively, but I have been left with a question that I can't seem to find a straight answer on: can I get away with using a single 2x120 radiator to cool a loop consisting of my processor and GPU.

The processor and video card in my rig only have mild overclocks, and the load temps are very reasonable using air (70C for the processor w/ Prime 95, 60C for the GPU w/ Furmark). Both still have their respective power-saving features enabled.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Here is a spreadsheet of my parts list for you all to pick apart. I'm pretty firm on the blocks and res/pump, but anything else can be changed.

Thanks!

Hello!.....

can I get away with using a single 2x120 radiator to cool a loop consisting of my processor and GPU.

The general prognosis is... no. Unless you are using some beefy-ass fans that make a lot of noise, the loop would not be good for long under extreme use. The loop would get steadily hotter and hotter, and the radiator wouldn't be able to keep up with the heat coming in, and wouldn't be able to cool the water down fast enough. If you did set this loop up you would notice that the temps are fine. Until you actually ran the loop for 2+ hours with a load, your loop would be so hot that the point of water cooling is gone. When you do this, you spread heat around.

EDIT: custom loops are addictive, and I highly recommend doing one. Once you have gotten into it and feel comfortable with them, you want everything to have one... I've been debating putting a custom loop in my media server. It's crazy.. But, I want one... lol.

Have fun and post your process while you set it up and if you have Questions we will help you out. Cheers!

Last edited:
The general prognosis is... no. Unless you are using some beefy-ass fans that make a lot of noise, the loop would not be good for long under extreme use. The loop would get steadily hotter and hotter, and the radiator wouldn't be able to keep up with the heat coming in, and wouldn't be able to cool the water down fast enough. If you did set this loop up you would notice that the temps are fine. Until you actually ran the loop for 2+ hours with a load, your loop would be so hot that the point of water cooling is gone. When you do this, you spread heat around.

Well, that is disappointing. I had a feeling that would be the case, though.

I think I've come to the conclusion that maybe I should just leave the graphics card out of the loop, seeing how its the only component that I plan on upgrading in the near future.

EDIT: custom loops are addictive, and I highly recommend doing one. Once you have gotten into it and feel comfortable with them, you want everything to have one... I've been debating putting a custom loop in my media server. It's crazy.. But, I want one... lol.

Have fun and post your process while you set it up and if you have Questions we will help you out. Cheers!

I hope I don't get too addicted, I cant afford another expensive hobby!

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing and been having a blast piecing parts together and doing the proper research. I usually only feel this way when I'm putting together a new system lol.

Should be pulling the trigger and buying parts in the next couple of weeks once I finalized everything.

You would be surprised at how your temperatures are with a single 2x120mm radiator. Sure more would be better, but you can get perfectly acceptable cooling on a single GPU/CPU with a 2x120mm radiator. I cooled a Athlon X2 and 8800GT overclocked with a PA160 and MCR120 using silent low power fans back in the day. Temperatures were just fine.

You won't get better than top notch air cooling temperatures, but your loop isn't going to heat up until the water boils away either.

Really you should try to go with as much radiator as you have space for because it allows you to use lower speed fans and get the same amount of cooling.

Last edited:
You would be surprised at how your temperatures are with a single 2x120mm radiator. Sure more would be better, but you can get perfectly acceptable cooling on a single GPU/CPU with a 2x120mm radiator. I cooled a Athlon X2 and 8800GT overclocked with a PA160 and MCR120 using silent low power fans back in the day. Temperatures were just fine.

You won't get better than top notch air cooling temperatures, but your loop isn't going to heat up until the water boils away either.

Really you should try to go with as much radiator as you have space for because it allows you to use lower speed fans and get the same amount of cooling.

Agreed, I cooled a core 2 duo and an 8800GT as well with a single 240mm rad. It's doable but more will definitely be better as you'll get better temps and be able to run fans slower. I'd highly suggest keeping the gpu in the loop if only to keep the noise down.

I would also suggest ditching the premixed coolant and going with distilled water and a biocide and/or silver coil. Much cheaper in the long run and IMO less chance of gunking up your loop.

If you get a fat 240 like an XSPC RX240, arent overclocking, and get some decent fans...i think youll be ok.

Thanks for all of your input!

What if I threw in a single 120 radiator and route like this:

Res/Pump > 2x120mm (top) > CPU block > 1x120mm (rear) > GPU block > Res

I guess I need some help calculating the total TDP of my system and the capacity of the radiator(s). I would like the keep the overclock on the CPU; the GPU can go back to stock speeds and TDP.

I did some rough measurements and discovered the heatsinks on my motherboard are too tall to use a 240x60mm think radiator up top, so I will have to use a 30mm unit. Unfortunately, the P280's radiator placement and capacity is extremely limited.

Like I said in my OP, I'm not looking for extreme cooling just an overall quieter system. If I can manage the same temps I see now but at a lower noise level, I will be happy.

that loop with the 120mm will be perfect.

BTW, my response before was under the impression that you are overclocking your hardware, which like your sig says you are. which adds a lot of heat with a 3570k. I recommend de-lidding your CPU if you havn't and then your shit will be rocking.

Good luck

I did some rough measurements and discovered the heatsinks on my motherboard are too tall to use a 240x60mm think radiator up top, so I will have to use a 30mm unit.

About rad thickness: Using low RPM fans (quiet), there is little performance difference between a 30mm and a 60mm. Link

Thanks to everyone for submitting their input!

I've decided that the P280, despite how much I like it, isn't suited for what I'm trying to accomplish. Thus, I will be replacing it with something I can handle more than a single 240 radiator.

Once I find something I like, I'll post up a parts list and worklog.

Thanks again!

Back