• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dissapointed in ATI Drivers/Catalyst

N3mi5is

Gawd
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
915
Just upgraded to an HIS 4890. Using the 9.6 catalyst alot of the options easily available in nvidia's control panel are no-where to be found or are stupid hard to find. Using windows 7 RC.

First thing that I would consider a simple feature is resolution, I can't change the resolution of either of my displays through the CCC. I have to use windows to change resolutions.

My 1080p HDTV's maximum resolution through CCC is 720p, whereas I could use 1080p without issues with my nvidia control panel.

No stretching of the desktop across multiple displays. You can "extend" the desktop but not have a single desktop displaying across multiple monitors. (Need this for Left 4 Dead Split-screen) ATI Hydravision does nothing, although it has the option to stretch the desktop like I am trying to acheive it doesn't actually work. I did this regularly with nvidia's control panel.

ATI Overdrive doesn't work. All options are grey out. I do have both PCI-e power connections connected to the card (not sure if this is required or not, I just remember some older ATI's had 2 connectors and would only overclock with both occupied)

Also can't find anywhere to set custom resolutions, and gpu scaling is greyed out.

What gives? The card performs awesome but so far these drivers/catalyst are a horrible joke compared to nvidia's.

Please don't post and accuse me of trolling, I'm simply asking for help in finding how to access/enable these options for my 4890.
 
Regarding ATI Overdrive. You have to unlock this first before you can change anything. Click on the lock icon at the top of the ATI Overdrive page to unlock it. Now you can change stuff.

Regarding GPU scaling. This is kind of odd, but first you need to set your LCD resolution to a non-native resolution. Then go into the CCC and now you can change the GPU scaling options. After wards you can go back to your native resolution, it'll grey out GPU scaling again, but will keep the last change you made.
 
Regarding ATI Overdrive. You have to unlock this first before you can change anything. Click on the lock icon at the top of the ATI Overdrive page to unlock it. Now you can change stuff.

Regarding GPU scaling. This is kind of odd, but first you need to set your LCD resolution to a non-native resolution. Then go into the CCC and now you can change the GPU scaling options. After wards you can go back to your native resolution, it'll grey out GPU scaling again, but will keep the last change you made.

Thanks for the help, honestly didn't even see the "key" button at the top of the overdrive page.

Any idea how to span the desktop across multiple displays? In hydravision with spanning enabled in the CCC it has no effect.
 
no idea how to span but it is possible to change monitors resolutions with CCC and also the relative position to your main monitor. Think its all done under the monitor tab on the left hand side.
 
See the little ATI tray icon down there? You should start by right clicking the tray icon instead of writing the damn post to whine, much easier.
 
n3mi5i5, just because you are used to nVidia drivers and haven't spent a lot of time with catalyst, it doesn't by default make it an inferior product just because you weren't able to easily figure it out.

Regarding your displays, connect both, turn the PC on, and it should go across both.
 
I just wish ATI would add customizable game profiles to it's drivers. The current profiling in the drivers really stinks. This would go a long way to making me a happier ATI owner.
 
bawww the ATI options layout is different from Nvidia bawww ATI sucks so much bawwww
This is what I read...
I'm pretty sure you can do pretty much everything with both drivers. You just have to find where the settings are.
 
This is what I read...
I'm pretty sure you can do pretty much everything with both drivers. You just have to find where the settings are.

Thanks for reading my entire post :rolleyes: I asked how to access those options in the ATI CCC.

N3mi5is said:
The card performs awesome...

Please don't post and accuse me of trolling, I'm simply asking for help in finding how to access/enable these options for my 4890.

n3mi5i5, just because you are used to nVidia drivers and haven't spent a lot of time with catalyst, it doesn't by default make it an inferior product just because you weren't able to easily figure it out.

Regarding your displays, connect both, turn the PC on, and it should go across both.

I do believe the options are overly difficult to find comparatively.

Having dual display work and show the background on 2 displays is not what i'm trying to do. I have no problem getting the second display working. What I'm trying to do with 2 displays is split the desktop across each display. If each display was 1680 x 1050 I would have one image at 3360 x 1050; If i hit maximize on a window, half would be on one monitor, half on the other. If I need to explain further let me know, I'm not sure the "correct" terminology for this.
 
Last edited:
work with it for like a month.

then complain

I hated vista when I started using it, now I don't even notice.

I hated broccoli as a kid, now I loves the stuff.

I used to think girls were icky, now they are yummy.

I used to hate starting every line with "I," now I can't stop.
 
try forcing 1080p60

digital panel > force HDTV Detection > force 1080p60
 
Thanks for the help, honestly didn't even see the "key" button at the top of the overdrive page.

Any idea how to span the desktop across multiple displays? In hydravision with spanning enabled in the CCC it has no effect.

I'd uninstall Hydravision, actually - I think that's just for the more unusual spanning stuff.

For what you want to do, you are in Window's display panel again. On the 'settings' tab, select the second monitor (it'll be greyed out), and click the 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor'.

That should be all you need to do.
 
I'd uninstall Hydravision, actually - I think that's just for the more unusual spanning stuff.

For what you want to do, you are in Window's display panel again. On the 'settings' tab, select the second monitor (it'll be greyed out), and click the 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor'.

That should be all you need to do.

I uninstalled hydravision. Clicking "Extend my windows desktop" only allows me to drag open windows etc onto that monitor, it doesn't actually extend the desktop :confused:
 
See the little ATI tray icon down there? You should start by right clicking the tray icon instead of writing the damn post to whine, much easier.

Yeah, you get better response if you just ask politely how to do this or that, instead of starting your post by telling everyone how much you think ATI sucks and how great Nvidia is...especially when you do it in the ATI forum :p
 
ATI drivers suck.
I went from a 8800gt to a hd4850 back to a 9800gtx
 
I don't mind ATi drivers for single card and Crossfire support is lackluster or often buggy.
 
Yeah, you get better response if you just ask politely how to do this or that, instead of starting your post by telling everyone how much you think ATI sucks and how great Nvidia is...especially when you do it in the ATI forum :p

You should win an award for reading comprehension :rolleyes:
 
I don't see any whining in his post, just more despair. Just because one person said he was whining doesn't mean everyone has to hop on the bandwagon and say it to him.

n3mi5is, Go to the Personalize/Display Settings, right click the greyed out display, and hit attached.
 
Its much easier to cry instead of using your brain to find simple things like a GIANT LOCK
 
Its much easier to cry instead of using your brain to find simple things like a GIANT LOCK

It's also much easier to bandwagon bitch about a thread rather than offer some constructive advice about one of the MANY OTHER settings I mentioned.

RADEon, I cannot find that option anywhere?
 
same here my drivers limit me to 1024x768 and now it wont efven to boot into vista :(
 
N3mi5is, it's quite common for people to become a bit disoriented when switching to a new operating system. Add in manufacturer drivers which may seem confusing and frustrating when you don't see the things or functions you're used to seeing. We were all n00bs once and I believe that must be taken into consideration.

Right-click on your desktop and then click on the Personalize option at the bottom of the menu that appears.

Here's a link to help you out. :)

http://www.elmajdal.net/Win7/Changing_Screen_Resolution_in_Windows_7.aspx
 
I have the 9.6 drivers running and everything works great in Vista for me...... I don't get it ????? :confused:
 
Regarding GPU scaling. This is kind of odd, but first you need to set your LCD resolution to a non-native resolution. Then go into the CCC and now you can change the GPU scaling options. After wards you can go back to your native resolution, it'll grey out GPU scaling again, but will keep the last change you made.

I've been looking for a while on how to fix this problem and that did the trick. Thanks!
 
Back
Top