• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

displays with no scaler . . .

modulus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
360
So I'm contemplating picking up one of those cheap 27 inch korean panels. Lower input lag would be nice so one of the models with no scaler sounds like a winner. However, I'm not sure what other implications there are with not having a scaler.


1. Will I still see the post screens when i boot up?
2. What happens when I watch 1080p video on the screen?
3. What happens when i'm playing a game and there's a cinematic? Surely the cinematic isn't at 1440p resolution and I always get the impression that my current monitor changes resolution at the beginning and end of cinematics.

thanks
 
If it's for PC use then your video card handles all of the scaling, and it'll work exactly the way you're expecting it to, 1:1, black bars, in-game cinematics, post screen etc etc. Haven't run into a blackscreen yet on my Catleap. I've used it with a flashed ATI 4870, and an ATI 6870.

The low input lag is nice btw, it's the lowest i've "felt" in any LCD i've owned. The pixel response i'll describe as more than adequate, it may not be as pixel-line-crisp as a 120hz 2ms TN during fast movement, but it's def not a mess of blur either.
 
I have a question, so with one of these korean monitors..say I feel like playing at 1080p resolution in a game. Is there a way to scale it properly without the image looking like crap because the native resolution is 1440p?
 
I have a question, so with one of these korean monitors..say I feel like playing at 1080p resolution in a game. Is there a way to scale it properly without the image looking like crap because the native resolution is 1440p?
I answered your question already ;), your videocard (and videocard control panel settings) would handle all scaling, sharp and crisp.
 
Yeah for a PC having a scaler makes little difference, you really only need one if you want to use a cable set top box, Xbox 360, PS3, etc.
 
Back
Top