Displayports (3)

deep-cover

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Messages
21
I run a 5870x6 currently, and use 3 22" DP connected monitors. I have 25 foot DP cables, and my PC is in an adjacent room, for temperature/silence issues. I've wanted to upgrade my video for a while now, but have held off.
I picked up an Asus 7970 DCII and had to return it, for stability reasons. It would periodically reboot my machine. I believe its some interaction with Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z. on-board Lucid Virtu, and using DP connected monitors. I tried several workarounds, disabling Virtu, etc (even though I wasn't using it), and it still would periodically reboot. I read a few other Maximus Z users having the same issue, so just returned it.
Without running 25ft DVI cables, is there anything out there from Nvidia that supports 3 DP based monitors? Either current or upcoming? I had thought the Galaxy Superclock was supposed to come out with multiple DP, but they seem to have gone HDMI instead.
I game one one monitor, and run vmware on another, web browser on the third. In the past, I had wanted a single video card for the three monitors, due to issues like not being able to drag a browser running flash, or a movie playing from one screen to another. Is that issue gone? If so, I could see running a 680 for my center/gaming screen, and running the other two off a different 2 DP output video card.
 
Have you looked in to daisy-chaining the monitors? Newer Displayport implementations allow it AFAIK.
 
As far as I know no one is making MST (Multi Stream Transport) hubs or monitors. It would be a great option, but I haven't seen it from anyone.
 
Are there any caveats with 2 different display cards anymore? IE, can I drag a window with video running from one card to another. I remember this being an issue long ago, but dont know if its solved in windows 7/8/XP.
 
Back
Top