DisplayPort vs HDMI distance question

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Question on max length...I know DisplayPort is limited to about 3 meters (~9 feet), whereas HDMI can reach much further than that.

I'm looking to reach about 15-20 feet (setting up either my Surface Pro 3 (DisplayPort) or my Dell Laptop (HDMI)) on a work bench behind me to feed a 27-30 inch monitor that will be set up in the corner of my work area as a TV replacement/Display for research.

If I use my Surface Pro 3 with its DisplayPort and connected a DisplayPort to HDMI converter cable to it, would that break the distance problem with no serious effects to image quality?

What resolution? That is the key there. HDMI will allow you to go further but remember that those come with lower (max) resolutions. Display Port 1.3 can (theoretically) do 8k at ~3 meters. I'm sure you can go a ways further at 1080.

I'll say knock yourself out with HDMI. I've run 1080 connections over 50 feet without an issue.

Yeah I'm looking at 1440 or higher (if Possible) at over 10 feet or so. I guess I could reposition the computer if I really needed too.

Back