Displayport question

rastaban

Gawd
I just bought a Dell U2410 rev. A06 from a nice guy on this forum and was looking into DisplayPort connectivity. I am running off of a XFX 2GB HD 7850 which supports DP 1.2.

This Lenovo mDP to DP m/m cable was the only one I could find that explicitly states that it is DP 1.2 compliant.

Now my questions are...
1. Does the U2410 support DP 1.2?
2. Does the cable matter? I know with SATA II vs III, the issue is pretty hazy.
3. Will I notice any difference with DP 1.2?
4. What are some applications that benefit from DP 1.2 and what about games?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer to questions to 1, 3, and 4, but as far as the SATA II vs SATA III "Issue" goes, it's not "hazy" at all. There is a big difference. If you don't believe that I would like you to check out the poor performance of my Vertex 4 (SATA III SSD) siting on the SATA II bus in my PC.

I don't know the answer to questions to 1, 3, and 4, but as far as the SATA II vs SATA III "Issue" goes, it's not "hazy" at all. There is a big difference. If you don't believe that I would like you to check out the poor performance of my Vertex 4 (SATA III SSD) siting on the SATA II bus in my PC.

Isn't the question about cables, not bus?

I was curious about the cable question myself a while ago. I did some research and according to the displayport standard group, any 1.1 cable should be able to handle 1.2. That could be why not many actually say they are 1.2 compliant.

DP 1.1 has just a bit more bandwidth than Dual-Link DVI, so it is good for 1920x1200 at 120Hz, or 2560x1600 at 60Hz. DP 1.2 doubles bandwidth, allowing it to do 4k resolutions. There are some other improvements, but let me put it this way: if you actually needed DP 1.2, you wouldn't be asking about it here; you'd be consulting with your IT department.

Regarding DP 1.1 vs 1.2 cables:

Q: Where can I buy a DP 1.2 cable? Most of the cables are certified to DP 1.1a.

A: The DisplayPort version 1.2 standard was designed to utilize the Standard Display cable. We did this intentionally to avoid customer confusion. A DisplayPort cable is a DisplayPort cable; EXCEPT if it a “reduced bit rate” (or RBR) cable, which is typically a 15m cable designed for projector applications, and they only support up to 1080P; OR if it is an active cable, which will not support the new HBR2 rate introduced in the DP 1.2 standard.

So a cable that was tested to meet the DP 1.1a requirments also meets the DP 1.2 requirements.

http://www.displayport.org/faq/

Thanks a lot for the info chriz78 and evilsofa, it was exactly what I was looking for.

I just bought a Dell U2410 rev. A06 from a nice guy on this forum and was looking into DisplayPort connectivity. I am running off of a XFX 2GB HD 7850 which supports DP 1.2.

This Lenovo mDP to DP m/m cable was the only one I could find that explicitly states that it is DP 1.2 compliant.

Now my questions are...
1. Does the U2410 support DP 1.2?
2. Does the cable matter? I know with SATA II vs III, the issue is pretty hazy.
3. Will I notice any difference with DP 1.2?
4. What are some applications that benefit from DP 1.2 and what about games?

Thanks in advance.

1. Maybe. Doesn't matter though. See below.
2. No.
3. No.
4. For the U2410, there aren't any.

Displayport 1.2 doesn't make a whit of difference to a U2410. Only when you start hitting 30 bit colour, 2560x1440+ resolutions, and over 60 hz refresh rates does DP 1.2 make a difference.

Back