DisplayPort is STUPID -- no high rez support.

I don't know where you get your information from, but according to VESA's website, DisplayPort is better than dual link DVI at 10.8 gigabits per second. And according to DisplayPort's wiki:

70fps × 24bpp × 2560 × 1600 = 6.9 Gbit/s

So 2560x1600 should be the max res, no?

Umm, do you even own a 30" display? At the least, Dell's 3007 only requires ONE DVI connector. But it has to be a dual-LINK connector. Look into the DVI connector, do you see those three rows of 8 pins? In single link mode the two middle columns aren't used (or in the case of my cable, aren't there). In dual link they are.

Also, DRM has NOTHING to do with the connector, but the soft/firm/hardware behind the connector.

Is it just me or do you have no idea what you're taking about.

There is no limitation to resolution support in displayport or DVI, you can do any Resolution/Refreshrate upto the limit of available bandwidth. In fact they specifically state the need for high resolution support in the DisplayPort Standards doc:

Provides application support for up to 10 Gbps (giga bits per second) forward link channel throughput to address long term PC industry needs to support greater than QXGA (2048 x 1536) pixel format and greater than 24 bit color depths.

Also Displayport provides no more DRM capabilities than DVI does and Dual-Link DVI doesn't involve the use of two cables.

Straight from the display port specification sheet downloaded from VESA themselves In the DisplayPort objectives it says:

2) Provides application support for up to 10 Gbps (giga bits per second) forward link channel throughput
to address long term PC industry needs to support greater than QXGA (2048 x 1536) pixel format and
greater than 24 bit color depths

Notice that it says greater than QXGA and greater than 24-bits per pixel.

I've skimmed throught the paper and it seems that display port can support up to 48 bits per pixel.

Displayport 1.1 adds HDCP.. I agree the OP is mistaken on the res issues but not that copy protection will in fact be in place.

Displayport 1.1 adds HDCP.. I agree the OP is mistaken on the res issues but not that copy protection will in fact be in place.

The op is saying that Displayport is enhancing DRM, which it's not. It's just adding what DRM is already exists in DVI and HDMI.

That's not how I read it, but it doesn't matter much since Displayport is just competition for HDMI without the 10k yearly fee.

Back