DisplayPort Hub + Eyefinity

djshorty

Weaksauce
Hi there,

I'd like some input from someone with more experience here. I am looking to run 2 external monitors from my HP Envy 14 (supports Eyefinity) which has an HDMI and mini-DisplayPort.

I know I could just plug a monitor into each port (HDMI / mini-DP); however, I am interested in making my "docking" as simple as possible. If I employ a DisplayPort hub like below I should be able to just plug in the 1 mini-Display to my laptop correct?

Dell MMH11 Multi-Monitor Hub

DisplayPort to DisplayPort Multi-Monitor Adapter

With this configuration, will each of my external displays be recognized as independent monitors or will it appear as a single large display to my computer?

Thanks,

Kevin

ps - wow I haven't posted in awhile as evidenced by my sig.

I haven't tried it myself but for 2 external monitors this will work. One of the advantages of using DisplayPort is to be able to use those hubs off a single DisplayPort output and I've at least seen a post of someone using the DisplayPort -> 3xDVI hub for a Macbook.

The monitors will still show up as individual monitors and you can put them in Extended desktop mode or Eyefinity (single large surface) mode. If you're not gaming it's usually easier to use in Extended desktop mode.

I didn't realize there was a resolution cap but if you are only using 2 monitors instead of 3 you may be able to squeeze 1920x1080 out of it..

The Matrox TripleHead2Go DP and DualHead2Go DP versions definitely supports a bit higher resolution:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106021

Last edited:
If I only use 2 displays as opposed to the maximum of 3, I wonder if that means I can raise the resolution?

If I only use 2 displays as opposed to the maximum of 3, I wonder if that means I can raise the resolution?

Well, it should, the limitation is on the bandwidth - those hubs are DisplayPort 1.1a which is lower bandwidth than DP 1.2. By only using 2 monitors it should free up more bandwidth for the higher resolution, and 2x1920x1080 is barely more bandwidth than 3x1280x1024. The Dell hub even says, 3840x1024 or limitation by DP bandwidth.

I added some links to Matrox's DP hubs up above if you want to check those out.

My guess is you'll find some good responses on Mac forums since they have to deal with this a lot more often.

Th description of this product indicates that with 2 monitors I could have each at 1920 x 1200:

Triple Head DisplayPort to DVI Multi Monitor Adapter

It also says the maximum resolution is 3840 x 1024 but I believe that is when running the displays as a single desktop.

The Dell, StarTech and Acell products seem like essentially the same thing; they even look identical.

Back