DisplayPort & HDMI

macnmore

n00b
I just purchased a Dell UltraSharp U2311H monitor and it has a DisplayPort connection on it. I've done a little reading on it and there are several people that say DisplayPort offers better quality than HDMI. I do Photo editing with CS5 and I really want the best/most realistic results from my monitor. I'm getting ready to purchase a Monitor calibrator and was looking at the X-Rite Eye-One Display LT. My computer has an HDMI output...so my question is should I get a DisplayPort add-on card for my computer or get a HDMI to DisplayPort cable (or adapter as I already have a DisplayPort cable) and call it good?

Why use HDMI when you can use DVI-D? Your computer doesnt have a DVI port?
Maybe I'm wrong, but i thought they developed HDMI for televisions, so you can deliver audio and video on the same cable or something..

For the U2311H there will be no difference what so ever between DVI, HDMI and Displayport.
My vote goes for DVI.

Use DVI. For your uses, there is no discernible difference between the 3

Thanks for the info. I'm currently using DVI but thought the other 2 options would give better quality. Once again, thanks.

Why use HDMI when you can use DVI-D? Your computer doesnt have a DVI port?
Maybe I'm wrong, but i thought they developed HDMI for televisions, so you can deliver audio and video on the same cable or something..

HDMI and DVI are technically the same exact technology. They both use the same 19pin configuration to transfer information. For this same reason you can buy and use a HDMI ---> DVI cable without the use of an adapter. It's also the same reason that recent graphics cards can output audio via DVI ports.

ATI cards can with the adapter included. It's not the normal DVI->HDMI, as it has a pin to detect whether it should send audio. It works, I use it, and it's not new.

HDMI and DVI are technically the same exact technology. They both use the same 19pin configuration to transfer information. For this same reason you can buy and use a HDMI ---> DVI cable without the use of an adapter. It's also the same reason that recent graphics cards can output audio via DVI ports.

Thank you for the clarification, I did some digging, and you are right:

"HDMI is electrically compatible with the CEA-861 signals used by Digital Visual Interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

However, im not sure every videocard can output audio over DVI.. I remember that ATI had some modifications on their cards so you can have audio over DVI, but im not sure with Nvidia.

Thank you for the clarification, I did some digging, and you are right:

"HDMI is electrically compatible with the CEA-861 signals used by Digital Visual Interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

However, im not sure every videocard can output audio over DVI.. I remember that ATI had some modifications on their cards so you can have audio over DVI, but im not sure with Nvidia.

My Nvidia GTX 280 worked just fine with SPDIF audio over DVI to my Onkyo Receiver. Used DVI-->HDMI converter cable to connect to receiver.

I just connected the SPDIF output of my sound card to a plug on the Nvidia card.

Note that audio over DVI is not full HDMI audio, but rather just limited to SPDIF audio with is 2-channel only, or dolby digital & DTS.

My Nvidia GTX 280 worked just fine with SPDIF audio over DVI to my Onkyo Receiver. Used DVI-->HDMI converter cable to connect to receiver.

I just connected the SPDIF output of my sound card to a plug on the Nvidia card.

Note that audio over DVI is not full HDMI audio, but rather just limited to SPDIF audio with is 2-channel only, or dolby digital & DTS.

That's not true. I was able to get up to 8 channel LPCM, along with DTS and AC-3 with my old 4850 and 4890.

Back