• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Display purchase advice.

the.dude

n00b
Joined
Jun 26, 2012
Messages
5
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new display that has those characteristics :

- IPS with native 8 bit color ( for my color work )
- 23" or higher
- very fast response ( for FPS )
- 16/10 would be nice
- 3D not needed

I can afford 400$ display max.

I previously had a Dell 2209wa wich was very good and even allowed 75hz at 1680x1050.
Is there something with the same or higher refresh rate in the market today ?

Also 120hz looks nice but I'm not sure those display are suited for color work.
 
I had 3 Dell 2209wa LCDs. I sold them for $160 each about 2 months ago.

I bought one 27" Korean LCD. I think the colors looked slightly better on the 2209wa, and I'm not sure why. I also still currently own a NEC 20" WMGX2, one of the holy grails in the LCD world. The colors are definitely superior on the NEC, but the Korean and Dell 2209wa have better blacks.

In short, no there are no LCDs besides the 120hz LCDs that support more than 60hz like the 2209wa did. You're out of luck there. If you want more than 60hz and higher than 1920x1080, you'll have to wait for another year or two.

If you're particularly concerned about FPS games, then your best bet is to get an LCD with 120hz. But you won't get an IPS screen. You can't have your cake and eat it too. One or the other, not both. The LCD manufacturers are still holding that 2560x1600 and 120hz IPS LCDs in the warehouses for another 5 years.
 
Thanks for your inputs.

I think I'll stick with a 16/10 since the extra space is great when working with big UI.
No need for more than 8 bits or wide gamut actually.

The PA248Q looks very nice. I also saw the Dell U2412M at 300$ and it looks like it has some qualities but is there a site where I can compare the response and input lag of both ?

It sucks that now you have to choose between good color or good refresh rates. We should be able to work and play on the same device with excellent quality if you can put in the cash... But now you almost need 2 displays :mad:
 
Yes. There's a website for comparing response and input lag.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

This review on the Asus isn't nearly as thorough:
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-pa248q-p13430/test.html

Try this link and add the U2412m and the PA248Q to see the input lag comparison:
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/face-off/2302-3023-sretard.html
That link shows the PA248Q has lower input lag, but it shows the dell around 18ms, which doesn't agree with tftcentral's review which tests the U2412M at 9.4ms. I'd trust tftcentral because they have much better testing methods & reviews.

Also, remember that the 27" Korean LCDs have 2560x1440 resolution, which, the last time I checked, will give you more "extra space" than a 16:10 24" at 1920x1200.

240 more vertical lines, and a buttload more horizontal. Something to consider.

so now which would you choose?
24" 16:10 and 1920x1200 for $300
27" 16:9 and 2560x1440 for $300

Is aspect ratio really important enough to sacrifice resolution?
 
Last edited:
Thanks, TFTcentral look very pro that's a relief. I'm spending some time on it.
I knew the original french version of digital versus, they suck if you want detailed tests.

You're right about the 27, I didn't catch that it was on the same price.
This rez is sexy but I'm concerned about response and color on such a screen.
Did you have any problem with it and about the color, is it really worse than a 2209 ?

Also I only have a 560ti, I'm not sure this card will play well at 2560x1600...I'll probably have to play scaled down.
 
The LCDs in the Korean monitors are the same LG LCDs that are used in the Apple 27" Cinema Display.

Are you still worried about colors?

They can be calibrated, but I haven't bothered doing so yet. There is no OSD control for calibration, it must be done with the video card drivers. I think my initial statement about color is actually misleading; I had a slight preference for the matte finish on the 2209wa LCDs. I guess I'd just used the 2209wa's for much longer and gotten used to the matte finish. It's a big jump to go to a glossy screen.
The dot pitch is also smaller on the 27" LCDs, which produces sharper clearer pictures. Also, technically the H-IPS is superior over the e-IPS in the 2209wa LCDs, so colors should actually be better on the 27".

I really can't complain about the colors on the screen at all. I just need to calibrate it a little and get used to the glossy finish.

Read the March 23 news posting:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/26.htm

I'm not a pro on response time, refresh rate or input lag. I didn't overclock my 2209wa's to run at 75hz. I've never tried a 120hz LCD. I do notice the jumpiness on all my lcds (including the 2209wa's that I sold) when playing a fast-paced FPS and I turn rapidly. I imagine the higher refresh rates would alleviate that because others say so. But I really don't play much FPS games.

In the end, I told you I sold all three of my Dell 2209wa LCDs and bought ONE 27" korean LCD.
I am happy with the change and don't regret it at all.
 
Thanks I'm looking at those.
The Catleap one with the 90hz overcloacking is definitely a plus for me. Just need to find one without the glossy.
 
Last edited:
You sure those are not 6-bit? Even the one listed as 12-bit only states 16.7 million colors and Asus's site makes no mention of teh bit #. I think those are e-IPS panels and all 6-bit.

No such thing as a 6-bit monitor. They are all 16.7M colors or higher.
 
Back
Top