Display Port Cable For X34 Recommend Please

fst2011

n00b
Hello,

First want to say this is a great forum and Im finding tons of good info. I recently got the X34 Acer Monitor and been reading allot about people saying you need a short DP cable. I have a few questions and hope someone could maybe help out.

I heard some people say the stock DP cable that comes with the X34 is NOT good and should buy a different one. Is this true? If it is true, what brand would you recommend and what are some things I should look for in a DP cable? Also is there any kind of program that I can run while the DP cable is connected, that would test it and let me know if its failing or etc?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and lend some advice,

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
MSI XC99A Gaming Pro Carbon LGA 2011 - v3
Intel Core i7 - 6800k 6 Core 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ram 32 Gb DDR4 3200MHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Cooler Master V8 GTS CPU Cooler
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black
Predator X34 Ultra-Wide G-Sync

Any cable that has the official DP logo on it will do. Many people like Monoprice because they're cheap and generally high quality. I would be more concerned with the length. 3440x1440 at 100 Hz with G-Sync is pretty much saturating all the available bandwidth in DP 1.2, so you should get a cable no longer than 3 meters / 10 feet. I personally cap my cable length at 2 meters to ensure the best signal quality.

thank you both for taking the time to help. As for as the stock DP cable that comes with the X34...is it ok to use or should I get a different one. And is there any program to run that checks if the cable can handle it?

Again truly thanks for the help.

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black

Honestly before buying a new cable, the question is have you used the one that comes with it and have you had any issues with it? If you have had no problems with it or there is no video quality issues I'd just go with what it came with.

Basically the stock one is too short for my needs. My other display port is for my other Monitor =P. If you're rig is beside it, don't see any problems with the original.

Deaedius and everyone else...Im coming here from console and recently switched to PC gaming. I know computers but dont know all the tweaking and etc thats done to pc gaming...Im trying to learn its just allot of info. Anyhow, as for the stock X34 DP cable I have it connected and it seems fine but as explained before...Im new, so not sure if maybe there is something you guys would noticed but Im missing. Aside from flickering or not being able to handle the OC 100hz, is there anything else I should look out for? Or a program that can test the cable to see if its fine?

Thanks again

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black

Deaedius and everyone else...Im coming here from console and recently switched to PC gaming. I know computers but dont know all the tweaking and etc thats done to pc gaming...Im trying to learn its just allot of info. Anyhow, as for the stock X34 DP cable I have it connected and it seems fine but as explained before...Im new, so not sure if maybe there is something you guys would noticed but Im missing. Aside from flickering or not being able to handle the OC 100hz, is there anything else I should look out for? Or a program that can test the cable to see if its fine?

Thanks again

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black
I bought a 10' white one from Amazon to use with my 4k monitor and it's been fine. The one that came with the monitor would not allow 60hz and it's only 6' long, cheap Chinese junk I guess. I don't remember the model # of the one I got but it was whatever had the highest ratings on Amazon.

Nothing else crazy you need to do with the monitor. It's pretty much set it & forget it. I'm the same as you, also come from a console background. Now I just enjoy PS4 & PC gaming, maybe Scorpio down the line too ;)

Nothing else crazy you need to do with the monitor. It's pretty much set it & forget it. I'm the same as you, also come from a console background. Now I just enjoy PS4 & PC gaming, maybe Scorpio down the line too ;)

Thanks for the info....any tips of things I should start looking into tweaking? Like the GPU or CPU or dont bother? The one good thing I liked about console is you sit down and thats it...play the game...with pc, you have to adjust for each game. Dont get me wrong, I def see the difference, games look way better but for someone like me a complete newb...its ruff to learn all this. lol

Hmmm you could overclock the CPU & the GPU to eak out a few more frames if you'd like with research of course.

I'd say PC is pretty easy as well. Most of the time I stick to High settings to ensure fluid Gameplay above 60FPS. With your current set-up don't really see a problem unless if you try to run things on Ultra which would require an additional GPU for the most part.

Thanks for the info....any tips of things I should start looking into tweaking? Like the GPU or CPU or dont bother? The one good thing I liked about console is you sit down and thats it...play the game...with pc, you have to adjust for each game. Dont get me wrong, I def see the difference, games look way better but for someone like me a complete newb...its ruff to learn all this. lol

Ahhh, don't confuse "can" adjust for each game with "need to" adjust for each game.

Most of the time you just install your new game, go into the settings and adjust a couple of things for what is normal which you will get used to, and you are set. The only reason you really have to go in and work hard tweaking is when the game is really loading the computer and your hardware is really challenged. G-sync is going to make that less obvious then it is without it.

So my advice, yes there are things you'll want to learn cause a PC is not a console, but relax and enjoy for the most part. It will all come to you as you go along, you don't have to learn it all in a day, even if you could, so don't sweat the small stuff.

I bought a 10' white one from Amazon to use with my 4k monitor and it's been fine. The one that came with the monitor would not allow 60hz and it's only 6' long, cheap Chinese junk I guess. I don't remember the model # of the one I got but it was whatever had the highest ratings on Amazon.

Are you saying the cable that came with the Acer X34 was no good? The one which came with my X34 is only about 3 or 4 feet so I dont know if they fixed the cable or not. Please let me know if your talking about the same monitor and also do you know when it was built or atleast when you got it? Does anyone know if there is a program that tests the DP cable or maybe can see if its putting out the correct numbers?

Icpiper...thanks for the advice, I think that is what my main problem is and I have to train myself not to get so caught up on the tweaking part. I'm so concerned with making sure its running FULL SPEED AHEAD...that I have not even really played a game yet...yes I know, dumb but i guess I just let myself get overwhelmed. Anyhow, thanks everyone for helping me out and sharing some advice. If anyone knows of a way to test or check the stock DP cable please let me know.

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black

Are you saying the cable that came with the Acer X34 was no good? The one which came with my X34 is only about 3 or 4 feet so I dont know if they fixed the cable or not. Please let me know if your talking about the same monitor and also do you know when it was built or atleast when you got it? Does anyone know if there is a program that tests the DP cable or maybe can see if its putting out the correct numbers?

Icpiper...thanks for the advice, I think that is what my main problem is and I have to train myself not to get so caught up on the tweaking part. I'm so concerned with making sure its running FULL SPEED AHEAD...that I have not even really played a game yet...yes I know, dumb but i guess I just let myself get overwhelmed. Anyhow, thanks everyone for helping me out and sharing some advice. If anyone knows of a way to test or check the stock DP cable please let me know.

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black
No, I have a crossover 4k monitor. I would be your Acer comes with a better cable, which should work fine if you can live with the short length.

Well some updates;

My recertified X34 arrived Thursday, I had it up and running that evening, spent most of it just getting my existing games all running in 21:9 and all of them did;
World of Tanks and World of Warships
Skyrim SE and Fallout4
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2
I even loaded up X3 Reunion and it had native support for 21:9 and 3440x1440 right from the start.

It took a day or so to get used to the new feel of this display, and it died on me mid game Sunday night. No power LED, nothing.
I am contacting Acer Support now to see what they say.

Remember, mine was a recertified so it already failed once, a second time might be no surprise, we'll see how this goes.

Icpiper....damn, that truly sucks. Sorry to hear the horrible news. Do you know why it may have shut down, or a guess why? Any chance you remember some of the settings you changed on the monitor in the OSD? Just trying to get some custom settings from X34 owners.

Again sorry about that bad news and hope you have a quick turn around on getting it fixed. Thanks once more for sharing some help

Max

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
WD Black 4TB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Raidmax Vampire RX1000W
Corsair 780T Black

* Cats Are Walking Static Death Bombs *

Icpiper....damn, that truly sucks. Sorry to hear the horrible news. Do you know why it may have shut down, or a guess why? Any chance you remember some of the settings you changed on the monitor in the OSD? Just trying to get some custom settings from X34 owners.

Again sorry about that bad news and hope you have a quick turn around on getting it fixed. Thanks once more for sharing some help

Max

Max, all I did from the OSD was change the input from USB to DP. I might have set the refresh rate in windows to 85Hz, I know I didn't set it to the 100 Hz max.

I was gaming and the monitor just blanked out, then the game display jumped to the other monitor as the Predator was now "offline" and no longer available. Sort of like if you pulled the cable or the power, same thing.

Anyway, the company has offered to accept the return and refund my purchase. I'll take it because I don't know when they will have another refurb in. And I'll probably throw a little more at it and buy a brand new one. I really was liking it and like a junky I don't want to go back to my 24" 1080P @ 60Hz, not after a weekend with the Predator.

I know what you mean, Ive come to really like how things look on this monitor. Would be really difficult to go from this to any other smaller monitor. Best of luck hope things work out for ya.

Max

Back