*Display Port Adapter Thread* " Skept results : /

Hi, I go by the name Jago. Am new to these forums but not to Pc gaming.

:) I found the hardforums while researching for the success rate of this whole display port adapter mumbo jumbo.& rather it was working for the folks with the Ati 5000 series cards or not. I've heard mixed reactions on it working or not. Alot of Youtube videos saying it dont!.. & alot of comments & threads saying it do but with only small significant problems.

So lets get started: :cool:

For those with Dvi/and or Hdmi compatible monitors this is what we have to choose between in our Glory in achieving Eyefinity WITHOUT buying 3 new display port compatible monitors:rolleyes:

Thee ol DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter
330-5521tempjpg.png

& last we have the Displayport To HDmi Cable
21WDffhQVL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Am gonna sum this up because i dont want a thread with so much reading no ones interested in commenting. But am buying a Ati 5870 or 5970 this Tax season. My only issue is i already have x3 Acer 24" monitors that supports Hdmi & Dvi. Please let there be a loop hole:confused:

Simply Does these adapters work or not: Please share your Success & Failure storys.

Last edited:
I had no idea how to post pictures.. How do i convert those links into pictures. I tried hosting them but i only got links once i applyed

pictures work for me....great thread btw, as I'm going to purchase a 5970 tomorrow and I have no idea what to do to hook up the 3rd monitor

Is there really a need for another thread like this? Look, the only people complaining about Eyefinity not working right with a DP adapter are:

A. those trying to skimp on buying the powered DP adapter (Bizlink, Dell, etc.) and bought the WRONG adapter or are otherwise trying to get by without paying the $99 for the aforementioned powered adapter.
B. those who did not bother to check the specs of their monitors and/or did not read the directions on how to properly set up the Eyefinity with the a DP adapter.
C. Nvidia moles trying to snuff as much as possible any positive news/reports/opinion on Eyefinity until Nvidia gets their competing architecture out on the market (and, alas, beyond).

My experience is this: I found a %10 off coupon for Dell. Ordered the Dell powered DP adapter which, with the coupon, was less than $100 shipped. It arrived in a few days. I hooked it up to my 5770. I adjusted my desktop in Win 7 for working and saved that profile. I then made an Eyefinity group and saved that profile. I started GTA IV in Eyefinity, set the resolution to 3200x768 with no other change to settings. I played the game without a hitch and enjoyed the experience. No big problems. No real complaints.

In fact, the experience was so EASY, and worked so SMOOTHLY, I can't imagine why we see SO MANY whiners about this except to consider point C. above.

The only complaint I have is that the saved Eyefinity profile doesn't go from standard desktop to Eyefinity properly - but as I understand it that will be addressed in the next driver.

Is there really a need for another thread like this? Look, the only people complaining about Eyefinity not working right with a DP adapter are:

A. those trying to skimp on buying the powered DP adapter (Bizlink, Dell, etc.) and bought the WRONG adapter or are otherwise trying to get by without paying the $99 for the aforementioned powered adapter.
B. those who did not bother to check the specs of their monitors and/or did not read the directions on how to properly set up the Eyefinity with the a DP adapter.
C. Nvidia moles trying to snuff as much as possible any positive news/reports/opinion on Eyefinity until Nvidia gets their competing architecture out on the market (and, alas, beyond).

My experience is this: I found a %10 off coupon for Dell. Ordered the Dell powered DP adapter which, with the coupon, was less than $100 shipped. It arrived in a few days. I hooked it up to my 5770. I adjusted my desktop in Win 7 for working and saved that profile. I then made an Eyefinity group and saved that profile. I started GTA IV in Eyefinity, set the resolution to 3200x768 with no other change to settings. I played the game without a hitch and enjoyed the experience. No big problems. No real complaints.

In fact, the experience was so EASY, and worked so SMOOTHLY, I can't imagine why we see SO MANY whiners about this except to consider point C. above.

The only complaint I have is that the saved Eyefinity profile doesn't go from standard desktop to Eyefinity properly - but as I understand it that will be addressed in the next driver.

hey hey.. relax buddy.. Your A-C statements arnt all the way true friend. Some people just wanna know which Adapter works best or at all. "NO ONES TRING TO GET OUT OF NOT BUYING THE ADAPTER:rolleyes: Thats the point of this thread is to find out which adapters work & which ones dont. Because even myself have heard mixed reactions to it working & not.

I've heard story of people monitors Flickering when hooked to a dp adapter, screen going black & white etc. Am certain this isn't the case with everyone so i made this thread for everyone to share there storys.

Thanks for you Success Story for what its worth. That was the Purpose of this thread to begin with :cool:

I dont know. Hopefully someone will post a success story on the apple one working..
We can figure this all out very quickly if 1 by 1 we post which particular dp we've tried & rather or not it worked for us. Some folks are buying Ati 5000 series cards sooner than others so
lets look to them for the best advice on which model dp adapters are working best.

Last edited:
well, I since I'm not going to run 3x3007's anytime soon, the mini-display port to HDMI adapter should work fine powering my 20" LCD right? I mean w/ that adapter + my HDMI to DVI cable to power one of my 20" LCD's and the other 2xDVI on the gpu to power my 3007 and 20"? correct?

so buying that one from dell is not necessary correct?

There are tons of DP adapter threads between this forum, Wide Screen Gaming, and Anandtech to name a few of the big players. There's no reason to re-hash what works and what doesn't; that info has been out there since, what, September?

MY point is that you haven't done your homework enough if your intents are sincere. Or, you don't realize (or didn't research enough to realize), again, that most forum posts fall under the categories A., B. or C. that I noted in my prior post.

There are tons of DP adapter threads between this forum, Wide Screen Gaming, and Anandtech to name a few of the big players. There's no reason to re-hash what works and what doesn't; that info has been out there since, what, September?

MY point is that you haven't done your homework enough if your intents are sincere. Or, you don't realize (or didn't research enough to realize), again, that most forum posts fall under the categories A., B. or C. that I noted in my prior post.

1 more point is all i'll make on this matter. Of course people are aware that some where in these forums the answer is already there. Consider someone thats already spent hours combing threw & didnt find what they were looking for . I never been one to despise reposts because theres no feeling like having a serious PC question & looking for answer & people dont answer ur important question that you've left on the only site thats had the closest related topics.. So be considerate, I searched.. but thought there should be a thread made for posting success storys, & pics of the Dp adapter that worked for them.

Display port thread.. Try missing that on Hardforums or google search engine.. Wont happen.

Hardforum ROCKS

Last edited:
I've been using the Dell branded Bizlink adapter for a couple of months and it works great. Just as the other guy said, I created an Eyefinity profile for when I like to play racing games, and when I like to have one giant desktop. Then I have a regular profile that I use when I play MW2 and other shooters, in which the game is displayed on my center screen, the left screen displays items left on in Windows(temp monitoring, i/m programs, etc), and the right monitor is off. Switching between the two profiles with a hotkey is easy and works every time. I've also used the same adapter, from Acell, with zero problems as well.

I've been using the Dell branded Bizlink adapter for a couple of months and it works great. Just as the other guy said, I created an Eyefinity profile for when I like to play racing games, and when I like to have one giant desktop. Then I have a regular profile that I use when I play MW2 and other shooters, in which the game is displayed on my center screen, the left screen displays items left on in Windows(temp monitoring, i/m programs, etc), and the right monitor is off. Switching between the two profiles with a hotkey is easy and works every time. I've also used the same adapter, from Acell, with zero problems as well.

thanks so much for your story.:) Now we have a few success storys already to make our first decisions on what dp port to choose from.

That's the one I'm using with great results. However, I needed to perform a BIOS upgrade on my 5870 to stabilize everything with respect to the DP connected monitor. Without the BIOS upgrade made available by Dave from ATI, the DP connected monitor would flash about once per hour or so. With the BIOS upgrade, zero problems.

Keep in mind with the Apple adapter you'll need a mini DP to regular DP cable in addition to the adapter. You're better off getting the Dell model or the Accell model available on Amazon and other sites.

I had no idea how to post pictures.. How do i convert those links into pictures. I tried hosting them but i only got links once i applyed
"Display images" was turned off in your profile. I fixed it for ya. ;)

Got the Accell from Amazon, on 3 Dell 2209WAs...

Working FLAWLESSLEY since hooking up about 2 weeks ago. (also used it with 2 of the Dells with mu old LG Flatron 20" while waiting for the 3rd Dell to arrive).

NO problems in games....got a weird cursor in the middle monitor once or twice, but other than that...NO complaints! :D

I bought this one

and it will not do anything but VGA (640x480) resolution no matter what (tested it with my wifes monitor and one of my emachines). I have my 3rd monitor and the accell adapter from amazon on the way now.

I bought this one

and it will not do anything but VGA (640x480) resolution no matter what (tested it with my wifes monitor and one of my emachines). I have my 3rd monitor and the accell adapter from amazon on the way now.

man.... I ordered the same one last week based on all the success people have had. I'll be able to test it on Thursday. I really hope it works otherwise my weekend is going to suck.

That's exactly what happened to me last weekend. We were having our housewarming party and I was hoping to showoff but it didn't work out.

man.... I ordered the same one last week based on all the success people have had. I'll be able to test it on Thursday. I really hope it works otherwise my weekend is going to suck.

Well, I ordered the Accell adapter because I don't want to go crazy having the video card and lcds and no eyefinity for the weekend. I guess if the svga adapter works, I can return the accell adapter to amazon.

ATI Eyefinity Validated Dongles
Validation is AMD's highest award of quality. Validated products undergo extensive synthetic and real-world testing to help ensure a good customer experience. Validated products include components, and software that are critical for an optimal experience with ATI Eyefinity Technology. For the best assurance of quality, interoperability and a positive user experience, choose a Validated product.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

I have the ATI 5850 and the Accell Display Port adapter and I get screen flashes on the DP adapter occasionally. Does anyone know if the firmware update from Dave works on the 5850 also?

Try plugging it into a powered USB hub or an adapter like this

I have the ATI 5850 and the Accell Display Port adapter and I get screen flashes on the DP adapter occasionally. Does anyone know if the firmware update from Dave works on the 5850 also?

I would also like to know this, I'm thinking of getting a passive one for 22" monitors, if that doesn't work or verified that it doesn't work for lots of users, I'll probably be forced to buy the other ones.

Upon further research, everything points to no. This is talking about using up to 2 monitors at a time. So these passive adapters work DVI + DP, and not DVI+DVI+DP. Basically the clock to convert the second Monitor (the DP output) uses the clock that isnt being used on the second DVI out, so as soon as you plug in another monitor the the DVI port, the DP will not have a clock to convert the signal.

From what I see all it's saying is that you can to DVI + DVI with a DP adapter, which basically does DVI + DP->DVI.

I'll just take the plunge and buy an active adapter, and in a few months forget that I shelled out so much for my setup :)

Just got my 5850 yesterday and first tried the displayport->svga adapter from Monoprice... The screen randomly flickers frequently enough to drive me bonkers.

Fortunately, I had ordered the Accell adapter before the 5850 was delivered and it is working flawlessly.

So, save your money, the Monoprice svga adapter is NOT worth it. It'll work, if you can stand black screen flickering. I also had the mouse cursor changing problem. After enabling a short pointer tail, it no longer occurs.

Back