Display/Monitor Suggestions

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is looking to purchase a 24" computer monitor for less than $200. The size is negotiable (he'd settle for a 23" but thinks 22" might be a bit small), but the price is not.

Suggestions? I'd suggested the Dell U2312 which was $205 last time I checked, but his price range is "hard" in that when he says he wants it to be under $200 he means it. Should I tell him to wait for a deal on that or is there another good option out there?

I don't think he *needs* IPS versus TN. He'll mainly be using it for technical work and lots of writing (no gaming, no serious photo-manipulation, etc.) -- Matte would probably be better than glossy for that, so that's also a consideration.

Any solid 24" options out there? Or does he need to look at 23" more seriously?

Thanks!

Last edited:
*bump*

Looking for a 23-24" monitor, good for doing a lot of writing / technical work, in the under $200 range. Not sure if IPS is ideal or not.

BenQ GW2450 (TFT Central has a review) or Asus VS239H-P (IPS)...just a U2312 w/o the fancy height adjustable stand.

Thanks for those two! Looks like the BenQ is glossy, but I'll suggest it to him anyway.

Does anyone have any data/idea on whether or not IPS is a significantly nicer for technical work and writing? I know it has better colors and viewing angles, I'm just not sure how much that matters in this case. Seems like brightness/clarity on a TN panel might be almost as good? Dunno.

Thanks again -- any others?

The BenQ is matte.

Matte IPS are worse for anything with a lot of text because all but 2 of the 21.5-23" matte IPS use a very grainy matte coating. The 2 that do not are well over budget.

The best model for text is the Samsung S24A650D, it uses the lightest and clearest matte coating but it costs 200$

Where is that Samsung at for around $200? It's more on Newegg (like $283). And thanks again.

Back