Display Mission! / Which One!

Berman

n00b
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
14
Hello everyone!
I would hope anyone could help me in this mission :D about choosing a Display.
My last one was a failure even after a lot of searching, i purchased the Dell UltraSharp 2408 Wtf, its brightness was so strong i add to lower it to 10 or lower, or tears would start to come out.
So since i am a 2d/3d artist and i need to be most of the time in front of it, it would drive me nuts.
I was thinking in purchase the Dell U2410 since its new a new panel and no one complains about its brightness but since i started googling i saw that is wasn't what i wanted, so i picked some options and decided to post
in here so i could get some feedback on this one.

so this was the ones i picked but if you think that there is something better go on im open to suggestions.

Eizo FlexScan S2433W (high on price but at least 5 years of warranty)
http://www.eizo.com/global/iblick/spec/?id=S2433W

MultiSync® LCD2490WUXi²
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/product/?product=29d41c3a-c07c-4dda-a199-13b8823de971

NEC PA241W
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=5a6621b9-e9c4-4f02-8542-e6251364bf7c

thanks in advance for everyone that would like to join me in this mission >D.
 
If you do color-critical work, go with one of the NEC displays, since the Eizo uses a VA panel instead of IPS. You may want to go with the models that include the colorimeter + calibration software if you already don't have them:
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Series/?series=f52d7f47-df4d-4223-b75e-c23e8b085ed7

Also, I have never used an Eizo but had NECs -- both CRTs and LCDs -- for the past 12 years and have nothing but good things to say about the image quality and build quality. Not one of them ever went bad on me. Their 4-year warranty is nothing to complain about, either (used to be 5 years though). Currently I am using Multisync 2490wuxi, could not be happier. So I am definitely biased ;)

EDIT: The WUXI display is sRGB, the PA is AdobeRGB just like the Asus Scoobydo posted, this could be a factor for you.
 
Last edited:
I generally recommend the NEC PA241W over the Eizo. However, you need to keep in consideration that the anti-glare on an IPS monitors can make white colors look a bit "dirty". It suppose it has to do with how the emitted light from IPS panel interacts with the crystalline AG coating.

NEC allows you to purchase extended warranties on their monitors; I think up to an additional 3 years. But that may put it above the price of an Eizo S2433W.

The ASUS PA246Q is a monitor I am interested in to replace my Asus VK248H that's hooked up to my HTPC to "monitor" some processes. But I only use it about 4 hours per month, so that means in the first year the PA246Q works out to $10/hour of usage. I guess I am simply getting annoyed by the fact that I have a TN panel monitor.

Anywaste... the ASUS PA246Q is an unknown quantity at the moment because of the lack of reviews. Therefore, I would not consider it for professional usage at this point in time.
 
hello again guys, thanks a lot for your help, about sRGB or AdobeRGB i do prefer sRGB, i noticed nec monitors have 8 ms on response, did you experienced any ghosting or something like that ahriman, ty.
 
I have never noticed ghosting, but I never specifically looked for it either. I am away from the main computer right now, so cannot test any specifics -- but I remember e.g. scrolling [H]ardforum looked pretty good (normally [H] is tough on LCDs since it's light-grey text on dark-grey background).

Also, I don't play games that much lately so probably I'm not the best person to ask.
 
Thanks ahriman, well i was thinking in purchase the Nec MultiSync® LCD2490WUXi² so i decided to check a little bit on it when i come across that this one is worst then 2490WUXi :( since its panel is e-H IPS instead of H IPS A-TW panel, so after spend all day checking this forum and googling i still dont know which one i should buy.

As far as i noticed there is no perfect one >D because there is always something to point out.
I would love to get some help on this one because the more i read the less i know which one i should pick >(, just want to do a good purchase.

could anyone tell me which are the best panels on the market, for monitor.
 
Last edited:
NEC often reports white to black / black to white response times, not gray to gray like many manufacturers, so 8ms from NEC is probably closer to 4-5ms from most other manufacturers. It should be plenty fast.
 
Berman:

well, like you said there is no perfect monitor. It really depends on 1) your requirements and 2) what annoys you the most :p

For example, I hate the color shift of PVA panels, and don't mind the heavy anti-glare coating that's typical on IPS panels (I don't really notice it). 6 years ago, I sent back a Dell 2405fpw (PVA) and went for a smaller 2005fpw (IPS) for that reason. Well, that particular PVA also had bad ghosting. 3 years ago I was very lucky to afford the upgrade to the 2490wuxi. As far as I am concerned, it's the best LCD display ever made *that I could hope to buy* -- IPS, A-TW polarizer, standard color gamut, properly working scaler, low lag, low ghosting, uniform backlight, NEC build quality, etc. I played games on it, watched movies, did coding -- it has been great for everything.

I know LG ceased production of A-TW polarizers, so unless you are really lucky and find a brand new 2490wuxi, or you settle for a refurb, you are out of luck. I don't think the 2490wuxi2 will be *that* much worse though... Even without the polarizer, it still does a lot of things right. Not sure if it's possible for you to see it at a store -- maybe your only option is to order one and be prepared to pay return shipping in case you don't like it. In that case, make sure to read the return policy carefully -- many stores have a separate return policy for TVs and monitors.
 
ok thanks a lot Ahriman :cool: to sad i just cant buy one 2490wuxi, i wanted to go for a IPS, A-TW since is the panel in this monitor but i dont find another monitor with it, oh boy im gonna cry.
 
I don't know what problem people have with 2490wuxi2... seems the same when I looked at it? My dad got one on rec from me and i pawed it a good hour before turning it over. ATW thing is overrated unless you sit in a pitch black room at angle. Should not be a make or break issue. What you get in exchange is slightly closer to the sRGB color space than the original 2490.
 
Last edited:
Apparently the new 2490 I bought from ebay that I have not yet received will likely turn out to be a used, dirty, modified unit, which is what another [H] buyer from that auction received and contacted me about. Unbelievable.

I obviously can't recommend buying a monitor from sources such as ebay based on this experience. Good luck with whatever you get.
 
Modified how?

It's been modified as a touch-enabled display by a company called One World Touch. It's this product.

I'm having someone pick it up across the border (I'm in Canada), and instead of importing it and paying 13% tax to evaluate it and resell it, I'll have it immediately sent back for a refund, since it's in the same condition as the one received by the other buyer, who graciously sent me photos of a somewhat dirty, used-looking display.

The seller claims it was an honest mistake, and is being co-operative in offering a refund. I'll see soon enough.

I'm lucky I posted in this thread for the other buyer to see my post and warn me. I'm really appreciative of that.

Beware of sellers who can't, or refuse to, grasp the definition of 'brand new'.

That sux man :mad: Good luck with the return/refund process.


Thanks, man. :)
 
yeah that sucks indeed :(, well im still in a big dilemma here guess i will try in the end the new NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 hope it doesnt suck to much
 
If you do color-critical work, go with one of the NEC displays, since the Eizo uses a VA panel instead of IPS. You may want to go with the models that include the colorimeter + calibration software if you already don't have them:
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Series/?series=f52d7f47-df4d-4223-b75e-c23e8b085ed7

Also, I have never used an Eizo but had NECs -- both CRTs and LCDs -- for the past 12 years and have nothing but good things to say about the image quality and build quality. Not one of them ever went bad on me. Their 4-year warranty is nothing to complain about, either (used to be 5 years though). Currently I am using Multisync 2490wuxi, could not be happier. So I am definitely biased ;)

EDIT: The WUXI display is sRGB, the PA is AdobeRGB just like the Asus Scoobydo posted, this could be a factor for you.

Eizo's best displays use IPS - Called coloredge. High quality and high price to match (some say over priced) I'd get the NEC.

I am biased too but I tried a lot and nothing is better than NEC.

NEC Diamondtrons best trinitrons
NEC 20MGMX2 beat everything out in that era
NEC 2490 beat everything in it's era
And I sure PA241W will follow this example.
 
yeah that sucks indeed :(, well im still in a big dilemma here guess i will try in the end the new NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 hope it doesnt suck to much

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the WUXi2. It just uses a newer panel. On the plus side it has better sRGB coverage, and of course as a minus it lacks the "A-TW" technology to minimise off-axis light leakage.
 
thanks everyone for helping me and everyone that will be encountered in the same situation, after puchasing it i will post again to tell how it turned out.
 
Back
Top