display manager woes

darrenster

Weaksauce
Hi all,

I have a strange issue, most like a driver issue. My setup consist of a Lenovo W520 laptop with a dock and two Dell 24" monitors attached to the dock via the DVI ports. The laptop has a NVIDIA Quadro 1000m card. At one point I had no issue with this setup. I was then away from my desk for about 3 month. When I came back and placed my laptop onto the dock, I get an error message something along the lines of "Display manager has stopped working" then all the areo effect no longer work.

Any ideas on fixing this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you recently install/upgrade to Internet Explorer 10?

We had some test machines in the lab that we installed IE 10 to check for compatability issues. A few machines that after the update, got Desktop Windows Manager failures and couldn't launch Areo theme. It seems it's hit or miss on this, the machines, all running the same image and hardware. The only fix we had was removing IE10 and putting 8 or 9 back on there. You can try some of the steps here to see if it fixes it for you:

http://answers.microsoft.com

You can check out others with the issue by google'ing "Internet Explorer 10 disables Aero"

Did you recently install/upgrade to Internet Explorer 10?

We had some test machines in the lab that we installed IE 10 to check for compatability issues. A few machines that after the update, got Desktop Windows Manager failures and couldn't launch Areo theme. It seems it's hit or miss on this, the machines, all running the same image and hardware. The only fix we had was removing IE10 and putting 8 or 9 back on there. You can try some of the steps here to see if it fixes it for you:

http://answers.microsoft.com

You can check out others with the issue by google'ing "Internet Explorer 10 disables Aero"

That didn't seem to do the trick. I currently have IE 9 installed. Never upgraded to 10. I've tried both methods found in that link you provided. The "Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager" service is currently running. Plus the trick in the command prompt returned that the "service was started successfully"

Looks like I fixed the problem... so far. I've uninstalled the dispalylink driver for my USB video card (wasn't using it any more) and the on screen function key thingamigig display software.

Back