Display in case

kyodai

n00b
Here is a little mod i had in my mind for quite a while. The aim was to take a standard department store PC and build in a Display in a way that it looks like it was meant to be like this. Unfortunately i did not have a black DVD-Rom or floppy drive, but i will try to buy these soon. The display is controlled by the graphic cards TV out and set as a secondary display in dual display mode. That way one can display a movie on the case display while playing a game on the "normal" screen. Or just playback fancy flash appz or a slideshow. I also made a little app to display some system stats and time on it. It's really a pure bragging thing, it doesn't serve much purpose other than being an eye-catcher and looking cool and futuristic.

1275941575.jpg

1275918188.jpg

1275870952.jpg

Update: June 10th:

1276229692.jpg

Last edited:
It would look better if removed that glowy circle thing on the bottom and you used black spray paint...hell I've used a sharpie in a pinch. But because of that (and the small low res screen) I think it looks "ok". Good effort though.

Neat Idea. You could have chosen a cooler case and Paint the drive bezels man. Just use painters tape and a rattle can.

Props to you for a cool idea though.

OK, little update - finally got to replace the white DVD and floppy drives. STill not perfect but at least a tad better...

1276229692.jpg

I think the display is a whooping 2 inch. It didn't come with any documentation or so, i bought it from one of these odd stands in the akihabara dungeon near the railway station. It was like 4000 Yen and so cute i couldn't leave Japan without it XD

I'd love to mod a display into a barebone/Shuttle type of case, but due to the DVD drive there ain't enough space in the one i thought about. Maybe i can think about something different...

thats a pretty nice lcd. i'd want a display on my pc also!

off topic: EVANGELLION!

If you don't like small you will HATE my next project. I just give the hints that it will also feature a built-in display at that size and a pico-itx board.

Really cool mod, put a picture up of the app you wrote with the system stats I'd love to see it.

This mod was cool when people were doing it with the old PS1 led screens.

case mod is sweet now is the screen like digital photo frame or can you view your desktop from it?

One idea I have had floating around for a long while is to gut a 15-17" desktop lcd and integrate it into the side of a case, like a full case all in one pc :D hmm.. that might be on the mod list for me :eek:

Very cool - I know the feeling of wanting a screen on the front of the PC, so great job on the mod

case mod is sweet now is the screen like digital photo frame or can you view your desktop from it?

Actually i have hooked it up to my graphics card TV-out and set it to horizontal span, so i can have the left side on my normal "big" TFT and having a video running on the "right" side of the desktop being displayed on the case mini-tft.

Back