• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Display for visually impaired person?

Joined
Dec 7, 2012
Messages
4
Hey guys. I'm a visually impaired person using a 15 inch laptop right now. Could you all suggest me a display?

I want a new display solely because when I zoom in text now, it takes up too much of the screen for a page / document to be readable. I find myself sitting with my head 1-2 inches from the screen. I figure if I get a bigger screen, I can zoom in all I want and be able to sit comfortably.

I'll be using it for programming , text documents, reading ebooks, and web browsing. I will be using it at low resolutions. I've tried that out on other widescreen displays and because of my vision, I actually prefer it and think text looks better that way.

I'm willing to spend $230 and I'm looking for the biggest size I can possibly get. Note that I don't care too much about image quality. I basically have like a fourth of the average person's vision. To get an idea of my vision, I am sitting with my head less than a foot from my laptop monitor right now; right up on it. I am using 200x zoom in Chrome. What I'm getting at is that I know most are against it, but I don't think I'd have a problem using a cheap 32' 720p display just because I probably wouldn't see the issues.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
newegg and amazon both have the viewsonic va2703 monitor for about $230. it's a 27" 1080p monitor, so the largish pixels should work out well for you. it only has vga and dvi inputs, though.
 
Tough to tell you opinions on a particular monitor you happened to find on a website. There are many monitors in the market.

If you need something big and cheap, and you don't care about quality and resolution, why not really get a TV? A 32" 720p LCD TV like you said, you can get them very cheap. You can usually get them connected to a computer easily, without any adapters. Depending on the connections available, of course.
In the meanwhile you should do some research or ask in the apropriate forum on how to change font sizes, maybe even contrast on your particular OS, to make it easier for you to read.

Something like the Haier L32A2120 for 200$ on Amazon. Just don't forget to turn most of the useless features you get with TVs off.
 
Last edited:
i would second the option of going with a large TV instead of a monitor.. it will give you more bang for your buck with your requirements
 
If you get a 32" 720p screen, make sure that there is no (I think it's called overscaling? something along those lines) which causes some bad distortion/blurriness which would make reading things on a 720p screen absolutely terrible, compounding with any sight issues you may have.
 
lol thanks for the advice guys. I was wanting to get a 32' 720p, but wasn't sure about it. Now I'm set.
 
Read up on 4:4:4 chroma subsampling before you get a TV for computer use. You dont want to mess up text clarity like that.

I would also consider getting a 27" 1080p monitor instead. Mainly because they are generally much less bright than a TV and dont have the above mentioned probable problems.
 
Back
Top