• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Display for a comic artist

cnrhus

n00b
Joined
May 21, 2013
Messages
25
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I've actually been looking to bite on a larger monitor for more than a year but havn't had the will to put down a huge chunk of money on the quality i want. However now im totally willing to work with a smaller monitor size which lets me explore some better options. that being said--I was wondering if anyone had a strong recommendation for something that fell within the following parameters:

  • $100-600 (MAX MAX MAX)
  • 22in+
  • 16:10
  • Color accuracy for web and print. as close to 100% sRGB as possible within price range. Since web is included I don't believe going beyond the sRGB spectrum is necessary, if mistaken please let me know what you think.
  • Semi-matte or (pref) glossy screen. I've seen the dell ultrasharps and would say that is more or less unacceptable in now it interferes with the viewing experience.
  • 90 degree pivot capacity
I already have a TN panel so things like games and other stuff arent a huge concern. Just worried that people are having completely different experiences of my work!
Thanks!
 
If you want 16:10 and semi-matte, it makes your choices easier, as there aren't a ton of monitors remaining with those specs.

The only sizes left would be 24" and 30" (I think). The latter is out of your pricerange and have a heavy coating. And there are no glossy IPS 24" 16:10s still being made, that I know of.

You can consider:

EA244WMi-BK - $379
P242W-BK - $750 (perhaps on sale you can get it a bit closer to your max)

I am not sure of color coverage, or if the P242 has a light coating, so you'd need to check with NEC on that. I believe the EA244 has pivot, but doesn't click into place when turned, so you may have to sort of guess if it's even or not.

The Dell 2413 has a light coating, but is wide gamut, so won't be as useful to you. Samsung 24" PLS would meet your requirements, but most models have terrible bleed.

I'm not sure if I am missing any. It is annoying how few 24" 16:10s with a light coating there are ... 23" and 27" have a lot more options.
 
Hmm I noticed thta the P vs the PA series seemed to have a few extra percentiles of the sRGB gamut. is there a huge difference? Otherwise I have see the NEC p242w offered at a reasonable price as long as it was totally worth it.
Also i heard the EA series had poor color accuracy? is that way off? if not 379 would be great! I could live with no click on the pivot.
Another concern I had is that (since i was gravitating to NEC) all the NEC models seem to be quite old, seemingly dating back to 2010 (sorry if incorrect, only seemed to observe in passing)

What kind of options would open up if I opted for a 16:9 ratio? thanks for the help!
 
PA is wide gamut, P is s-rgb. For your purposes I would stick with s-rgb.

Both monitors I mentioned are brand new models. I am not even sure you can get the p242 yet. They were just released. The p241 is the older model and has a heavy coating. You may wish to wait until proper reviews come out before considering the p242. I have no idea what type of coating it uses. One main advantage would be better uniformity + hardware calibration (if you get spectraview).

As for the EA I mentioned, there is one review floating about that I think listed color coverage (sorry, forget the address)... but check in this forum, as it's mentioned here. I am not sure if tft central or prad has looked at it yet.

And yeah, some of the other NEC models are quite old, but if there is something else that interests you, I wouldn't let that scare you off. Some would argue that the older models are actually better, as they have CCFL (less flicker, less bleed), and if you go back 5 years or so, some had an A-TW polarizer. Monitor tech hasn't progressed a lot over the last 5 years.

As for 16:9, there is the 23" Eizo (2336) and I believe a semiglossy Asus... not sure what their color coverage is though.

And there are several 27"ers which I believe are semiglossy or even glossy. The good ones may be over your pricerange however, if going for 1440p.
 
Yeah when I saw that the 24s are hardly even in my range i eventually decided that it didnt make sense to go in on a larger 27in one when it truly makes little difference to my work.

As to the old v new question: thanks! that clarified a lot. Sorry about the ignorance, at a certain point about a year ago I had gotten used to the dell model number structure, but never got acquainted with NECs.

I think I will keep up and pay attention to articles concerning the p242w then. seems like a strong candidate even if I am possibly backing out of my MAX MAX MAX statement-- it just doesnt make sense to not spend the extra 150 if its the difference between right and wrong.
Thanks again.
 
Generally speaking, the P242 or any pro monitor would be a bit of overkill for most users here, but since you are an artist, it may be a good one for you. You can use NEC chat to contact support and they may be able to tell you exact color coverage and if it has a light coating or not. I have found NEC to have really nice customer support.

In the 27" arena, you'd be limited to 1080ps mostly, at your price level. There are nice 27" 1440ps probably around what a P242 would cost though (maybe a bit more)... I haven't kept track of them, as 27" is larger than I prefer, but check out the Eizo 2736 if you feel like splurging. It'll also have the benefit of being PWM free at brightness levels over 20%. But I have a feeling it'll be pricey and I am not 100% certain what type of coating it has.

Edit: Just did a quick check, and the Eizo is $855 from PC connection.
 
I saw posts in another thread concerning PWM free and am sorry to say that im unacquainted with the acronym. It has to do with flicker?
As much as I'd like to splurg and say screw it and opt for a 2g monitor, it just doesnt make sense for many reasons. I'd rather have something at 24in and be able to say yes this is correct rather than 27 and have doubts in the back of my mind. I will try contacting NEC support, but ultimately I'd probably wait for SOME kind of review, either by people on here or on a review site.
 
i just asked the NEC chat and the most definitive answer i got is that the coating will be matte and that the coating is the same as the p241w. that is to say the coating on the series is all the same.

Edit: thats a great price on the Eizo, I thought the Eizo series was way out of my price range when i saw that even its 24" models are more than a grand. Ill have to look into this one. Thanks!
 
Ah, well so much for the the NEC 242 then. Eizo has a 2436 which looks decent too, but is has the same heavy coating found on the Dell 2412. I don't get why they feel a need to use such a heavy coating... semiglossy or light coatings still block glare, yet don't make the screen look like it's all grainy.

The 27" Eizo I mentioned is $855, which is pricey, but for a 27" Eizo that is reasonable. PWM = pulse width modulation and relates to the backlight. Some people have problems when using an LED and get eye strain or headaches... if PWM-free, it usually causes no problems.
 
Edit: thats a great price on the Eizo, I thought the Eizo series was way out of my price range when i saw that even its 24" models are more than a grand. Ill have to look into this one. Thanks!

Their coloredge (pro line) and medical monitors are the truly insanely priced ones. Their flexscans and foris line are just sort of painful to your wallet, but somewhat palatable. Just make sure your computer can handle 1440p (if you ever plan to game on it), but for what you want it for, I expect you'd be fine. Just double-check on the coating... I think it is a light coating, but am not certain. There is a thread here somewhere that covered it, I think.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like it has a light coating. -- http://www.extrahardware.com/article/eizo-ecoview-ev2736wfs-convincing-27-inch-ips-four-megapixels

But I think the Prad review stated colors may be inaccurate out of the box, so it'd need calibrating (extra expense for a calibrator).
 
Last edited:
The Viewsonic looks good... I forgot that one. Is the Viewsonic also PWM-free? I haven't kept track of 27"ers.
 
That viewsonic looks nice! I will look into it. The prospect of a brand new NEC coming out soon that is comparably priced is tempting however. A swing factor might be the semi gloss... *inspects further
 
The PLS panels aren't actually semi-glossy, that is just the name of the coating. Technically they are matte

Here is a pic of the Viewsonic (left) next to a glossy monitor displaying a black screen.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/240hzTeslaStorm/Viewsonic VP2770/SANY0002-1.jpg

I think the NEC customer service rep is wrong about the P242 using the same coating as the P241W. The new-ish P232W has LG's new semi-glossy coating as does the EA244WMi, it would be silly to go back to using the old grainy coatings.
 
ah thanks for the comparison pic. I agree it seems to me the rep didn't know, which isnt unreasonable since the product isn't out yet and more than likely they were playing it safe.
 
Back
Top