• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Display for 250 and under?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Guest
Helped someone build their first computer, they have been getting into a bit of gaming etc, but a new mon was out of the budget at the time, so she has been using a old 19" LCD, she is now willing to spend up to $250 for something, what are the choices that are good right now in this price range?
 
Dell U2312HM (get on sale for $220-$240) is good or new HP 2311XI (retail is $240 but not as good of stand or controls but panel is good.)
 
If you can stretch it, the Korean 27"s are nice for a little under $300. Since it's for someone else I might be worried about potential quality control / warranty issues, though.
 
If you can stretch it, the Korean 27"s are nice for a little under $300. Since it's for someone else I might be worried about potential quality control / warranty issues, though.

Yeah, that's not something she would go for, 250 is the absolute max, and I had to talk her into that. So no stretching, it's not like she needs anything great color wise etc either, no photo editing or the like, just some gaming for the most part. I want her to get something that will last and not look to bad so not much in the way of needs/demands. She is on a budget so cheaper is not bad either, its doesn't have to use the whole 250, but if that's whats needed for something than so be it.
 
Dell U2312HM goes on sale in low 200s and you can get them to price match Amazon - I recently did that. And they are good monitors with good stands and Dell will ship a replacement if a problem (Dell sent one next day business - I requested a replacement on a Friday and got on a Monday.) So good in that regard if any problems.
 
Here are my recommendations:

Samsung S23B550v - IMO, the best 60hz budget TN panel out there, minimal light bleed, great color for a TN, and great gaming performance. Listed at $270 now, but watch Camelegg. Newegg drops it to $199 about once per month. If you're patient, this is a steal.

HP 2511x - I'm not as big a fan of the HP as I am of the above Samsung, but this one has a glossy screen, which some prefer. A tad more expensive, but again, drops below $250 fairly often according to Camelegg.

BenQ GW2450 - Not popular around here but I happen to love this monitor series. VA panels giving better viewing angles than TN, virtually no vertical gamma shift, better color reproduction, and gaming performance is acceptable. Still, a lot of complaints on this one on this forum, so YMMV.

Dell U2312HM - If you prefer an IPS panel here (as many do), this is currently at its lowest price, according to Camelegg, at $250.

So there you go. I've given you the best options for TN (matte), TN (glossy), VA, and IPS within your budget. Decide what type/style of panel you prefer and jump on it. Most people are used to TN, while those who understand the differences in panel types generally prefer IPS, and my personal favorite is VA. Pick your poison.
 
A decent "bargain basement" choice would be this official NEC refurb monitor: NEC EA232WMi - $209 This is an IPS monitor.

How good is it? Review

I suggest this if even $250 is really pushing it for her, otherwise I'd go w/Medion's suggesting the Dell U2312HM.
 
Back
Top