display driver stopped responding

ascarytiger

Weaksauce
When I built my new PC everything was fine for a good 2 or 3 months. Now all of the sudden every 3 to 5 minutes my screen freezes for a second, goes black, and then refreshes and a little error bubble pops up at the bottom right corner. It says a display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. I tried installing new drivers, I tried going back to old ones as well. Any suggestions?

I took a picture of the error...

displayerror.jpg

Same thing happened to me ALL THE TIME when I had my 7900gt. I also got a lot of corruption and lockups in games, and even just browsing the net sometimes. I tried everything. Then I upgraded to the 8800gts 640 and I no longer have any problems. Still beats me as to what caused it.

I have the same exact problem. But not just with vista, but with Xp also! It's incredibly annoying. Usually right in the middle of games the screen would freeze, and no sound, then the screen would move, then a small sound, and repeat. Then, all I can do is shut down the computer manually which sucks, b/c i'm sure that's not good for it.

I'm going to try those fixes for Vista, but I have a dual boot system, and I play most of my games on XP. So, hopefully this driver issue will get fixed.

I have the same exact problem. But not just with vista, but with Xp also! It's incredibly annoying. Usually right in the middle of games the screen would freeze, and no sound, then the screen would move, then a small sound, and repeat. Then, all I can do is shut down the computer manually which sucks, b/c i'm sure that's not good for it.

I've been having the same issue lately as well and I only use XP. I haven't touched any video card settings in a while and, out of the blue, BF2 freezes and says my display driver stopped responding. Very odd...I updated my drivers to 162.18 even though the previous ones I was using, 158.22, have been rock solid for me ever since I installed them. And this isn't a constant issue....it seems to happen randomly. For example, I was playing BF2 for about an hour last night without any issue at all.

I'm going to do some more testing and monkeying around today. If the issue pops up again I'm going to try the beta drivers and see if that makes an improvement.

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago on my 6800gt.
I restarted the PC and the issue went away.
Update the latest drivers or try the beta ones.
I think its a driver issue between nvidia and vista.

Back