"Display Driver has stopped working" 7950

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
Has anyone else had this issue? I am having a nightmare of a time with this card already. I cannot, for the life of me, get the drivers to work properly. I tried uninstalling 11.12 three times in a row without installing new ones, then installed 12.1, and It simply will not catch. I finally went with an old updated i had for the 7900 series and that brought my card back to life, but it is still running on 11.12.

Can someone give me a reason I should keep this card?

I on&off get the same error, expect im using a nVidia 560Ti

When does it happen, how does it happen, is the card overclocked, have you used Driver Sweeper to ensure you properly installed drivers?

"Display driver has stopped working" is a nightmare. There can be tons of things that cause it. My friend with a GTX280 called me today cause he suddenly got this problem when logging into WoW. Just like that, yesterday it was fine and today it was not working anymore. This is simply cause something gets very wrong with the drivers and the only thing you can do about it is uninstall all drivers, reboot, clean with DriverSweeper 3.2, reboot, install latest drivers (RC11 in your case), reboot and hope for the best.

Edit: It would be nice to know what you are doing to get this error message.

I am doing almost nothing. I am running a sapphire 7950 OC at stock 900mhz (stock as in for this particular card.) And it will happen only when at those clocks of 900 or higher. All i do is open a firefox window and every time i try to do something it does it. But this isn't on EVERY boot. I downclocked it and it seems to work fine. I am thinking it is a hardware issue more than drivers.

Try uninstalling the video card by removing it from device manager. Use Atiman or equivalent cleaner to remove all your AMD/ATi files and via safemode, rebooting between each attempt.

Make sure your OS is up to date with patches & hotfixes, and your motherboard has the newest bios.

Install the video card and install the RC11 7900 Series hotfix drivers from AMD's website.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Can someone give me a reason I should keep this card?

Display driver has stopped working is a Timeout Detection and Recovery issue, and the reasons for it to happen are mostly random, from not enough power, to ram timings of your motherboard, to just windows 7 being an overzealous bastard regarding the different power states of your vidcard.

It happens on both Green and Red camps, noone has a reliable fix for it.

BTW most drivers do not support the 7900's series yet. So you can't just install anything you see. These ones do support the 7900's http://www.hardocp.com/news/2012/02/16/amd_catalyst_122_precertified_driver but i am pretty sure that no available version of the 12.1 supported them.

Back