display calibration / is it worth ?

shadowj

Limp Gawd
I played with the nVidia CP + menu TV settings, for weeks, i'm pretty happy with the image quality, but i wonder if some display calibrator would help for a better white
I do not care about printing, etc
PC gaming is the most important for me
Do you think, it's worth to get a calibrator, something like Spyder 4 Express, X-Rite i1Display Pro ?
It's almost impossible to get the best settings for the settings WHITE BALLANCE, i'm´using the Samsung UE55KS7500
Thank you, any advices are welcome

If as you said you are not printing or photo editing and you are already happy with the IQ of your display, probably just for gaming a calibration tool is not worth the expense, even bacause you risk that the image, while ending being more accurate as far as color and contrast go, could lack some of the "pop" that would be instead enjoyable for a gaming use.

If that's not the case, I'd totally advise to get a calibrator, even a simple ColorMunki (+ free DisplayCAL software), you just cannot hope to do any accurate printing/editing without.

Do you want the picture and colors be accurate as artist intended or do you want a picture that pleases you. While the latter is not mutually exclusive with the former it usually does mean that if you are used to picture thats way wrong (too saturated colors and too cold color temperature etc...Lots of "pop") then calibration is useless. But if you want to have accurate picture then colorimeter is a must.

MaZa, i know it's useless to have the settings, same as you do, with the same TV, but i ask you, just out of curiosity : what about your White Balance settings, Smart LED, Dynamic Contrast and Color Tone ?
Same question, for nVidia CP.
Thank you.

No no, I mean if you are not interested in accurate colors and like poppy picture THEN having colorimeter is useless. White Balance settings cannot be be copied between TV's because the factory calibration of all panels differ too much. Smart Led is matter of taste if you want local dimming or not (it is required for good HDR though). Dynamic Contrast should be off because alters the picture from original and may cause black crush and burned out whites. It will also screw up colorimeter readings. It is a setting for the poppy picture people. Color Tone is one of the few things you can copy from others because this is basically a rough adjustment of White Balance. While factory calibrations of different panels vary widely the rought adjustments still put you in the right ball park, Warm 2 being closest to optimal 6500K and Warm 1 being cool ~8000K, and Standard and Cool are some ridiculous 10000K+ temperature. If you are somewhat interested in accurate picture but do not want to spend money on colorimeter, using Warm 2 color tone is good enough. It is closest thing to an accurate picture. For everything else you need a colorimeter.

I wish you could have something between Warm 1 and Warm 2, but I guess that's impossible

Yeah sometimes Warm 2 is simply too warm. Sometimes it is below 6500K and since our eyes are more sensitive to errors in red the picture is immidietly red/yellow tinted. 6300K picture will look much worse than 6700K even though both are only 200 off from the optimal white. Its better to err towards blue so Warm 1 is sometimes the better choice for people who do not have colorimeter at hand.

What about Warm 1, and with some settings through White Ballance ?
I tried already, but i'm not sure what RGB Offset - RGB Gain does.

To adjust white balance you'd really need a colorimeter, and if you would have one then might as well as go for perfection. And adjusting one will tend to affect the others so its a balancing act to get everything perfect. Without colorimeter you'd be crapshooting. But regarding your question, RGB Gain affects the color temperature in whites. This is the same setting you find in most computer monitors with only 3 RGB sliders. RGB Offset adjust the color temperature for dark grey.

So far as colorimeters, is one more suitable to calibration with HDR in mind than others, or does it not really matter?

To be honest, I have no idea how to calibrate HDR. DisplayPro as a device should be capable of it but currently there is no way to calibrate the HDR mode through PC that I am aware of. No calibration software turns on the HDR mode of my TV. I guess this is due to lack of native support of HDR in Windows 10 currently.

Back