cageymaru

Fully [H]
CNET has covered the new wireless Displace TV system that debuted at CES 2023. According to the Displace TV press release, the TV screen module weighs less than 20 lbs., completely wireless, and is powered by batteries that last a month if viewing time averages 6 hours a day. There is a PC tower-like module that can be hidden in a closet sends the signal wirelessly to multiple TVs at once. Of course the control module uses electricity from a wall socket. The TV can be mounted onto glass windows using Displace's active-loop vacuum technology.

Displace TVs are primarily controlled by natural hand gesture movements, in addition to touch and voice interfaces, making it easy to browse, play and control content using hands. They also utilize facial recognition and computer vision technology, which enables content on Displace TVs to seamlessly switch between rooms when users move. A button on top of the Displace TV also enables the feature to be switched off for privacy reasons. All Displace TVs wirelessly connect to a base unit that is plugged into an electrical outlet and can be kept inside a closet or anywhere within the home.

The 55" 4K Displace TVs can be hung throughout a home or combined to form multiple sizes, including a massive 110" 16K television. Reservations for Displace TV will be available on the Displace website starting January 5, 2023, with a fully refundable deposit. They will be available to ship by late 2023.

Um, it's a giant tablet. They've literally re-invented the wheel.

Replace an AC/DC transformer with a bank of Lithium Ion's fitted into the case, then you have to recharge it.....wonder how long that takes. Pay the premium for this device and deal with its inherent issues (batteries dying over time, potential for battery shorts/fires, lack of significant output brightness cuz I'm sure 6 hours of viewing per day for 20 days isn't at "Well I wanted to take my TV in the back yard" levels of brightness)...............versus hiring the electrician to just put a socket where you intend to hang your wall mount.

You know who will get excited about this? Van Life Gen Z'ers.................who shouldn't be able to afford it in the first place.

20 pounds eh, a quick look shows that's anywhere from 60-65% the weight of a standard brand name TV, wonder where they managed to squeeze out 10-15 pounds of weight.

Um, it's a giant tablet. They've literally re-invented the wheel.

Replace an AC/DC transformer with a bank of Lithium Ion's fitted into the case, then you have to recharge it.....wonder how long that takes. Pay the premium for this device and deal with its inherent issues (batteries dying over time, potential for battery shorts/fires, lack of significant output brightness cuz I'm sure 6 hours of viewing per day for 20 days isn't at "Well I wanted to take my TV in the back yard" levels of brightness)...............versus hiring the electrician to just put a socket where you intend to hang your wall mount.
Agreed. I basically thought the same things.
You know who will get excited about this? Van Life Gen Z'ers.................who shouldn't be able to afford it in the first place.
I think this is a poor application for that. Much rather have a better TV. Even if "the point" is that you could take this outside of your van, a laser projector would be better IMHO or have your TV mounted to your rear doors so you can flip the TV outside.

Even if you prefer this method, as you note, it's ultra niche.

Most importantly the control module still requires power and has to be local to use this TV. While there may not be a physical tether, this TV doesn't work in a void. Nor is it 100% battery powered, again because the control unit itself requires power. Because of that I fail to see how this is a better option for van life vs already available current options.

3cC6.gif

Who would want to have a TV suction cupped onto a window anyways? All that background ambient light from behind the screen would make for an awful viewing experience. I guess that it would be OK at night-time but other than that it would be much nicer to have the screen mounted on a non-sun-facing wall. Also, what happens to the "active loop vacuum technology" when the batteries run out, does it just start to behave like normal suction cups? If so, I can envision these things falling off windows because somebody forgot to recharge the batteries after a few months.

I am sure that there will be an application for these screens though: temporary exhibits at conferences/trade shows come to mind. That said, I would much rather stick with a wired connection and a permanent/sturdy mount for my own purposes, though.

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting even if it isn't something I would personally use.

Last edited:
The key here is the wireless HDMI technology, which is not new.....integrated as standard, that's the interesting part. I agree, its cool to see....not really the battery powered TV part, but the wireless HDMI part integrated.

This seems like the kind of thing marketing and advertising people would love. Easily place tvs functioning as billboards and be more 'aesthetically pleasing'.

Back