Dislike: Facebook Charges To Message Celebrities

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this is true, I wonder if Facebook pays a kickback to the celebrities themselves. :eek:

FACEBOOK has quietly started charging British users as much as £10 to send a message to celebrities and other people outside their circle of friends on the social networking site.

This thing gets more absurd with each passing day.

How would facebook charge anyone? It has no paid services so nobody can be charged anything.

Are there really that many people messaging celebrities ... seems like a wash to me ... I don't message anyone outside my friends and any interactions I would have with a "celebrity" would be through their FB page ... if people are really obsessing about celebrities and messaging them (mostly teenage girls and stalkers I would hope) then maybe they should pay extra ... kind of a bummer if you are one of the bargain basement celebrities though ... must be a big ego deflator :)

Are there really that many people messaging celebrities ... seems like a wash to me ... I don't message anyone outside my friends and any interactions I would have with a "celebrity" would be through their FB page ... if people are really obsessing about celebrities and messaging them (mostly teenage girls and stalkers I would hope) then maybe they should pay extra ... kind of a bummer if you are one of the bargain basement celebrities though ... must be a big ego deflator :)

This. Who randomly messages celebrities on FB anyway? 9/10 the page for the "celebrity" is run by their agents or something... So you're not even going to get a message to them.

Celebrities are the reason sites like Facebook & Twitter exist. They are the ONLY reason to use those sites. Before they'd go through PR agents but now you hear from the actual celebrities. Raw unedited access to the most stupid asshat opinions from the lepers of society.

Celebrities are the reason sites like Facebook & Twitter exist. They are the ONLY reason to use those sites. Before they'd go through PR agents but now you hear from the actual celebrities. Raw unedited access to the most stupid asshat opinions from the lepers of society.

90% of those celebrities are paid nerds who type clever little messages that make everyone think that particular celebrity is "witty" or "humorous".

You guys might be surprised how some celebrities play with their Facebook pages and interact with their fan base. George Takei is on Facebook several times a day and has a huge following. William Shatner on the other hand has fewer following and post about four times a month. Anne Rice post several times a day as well.

Takei and Rice comments in their updates quite often, but I dunno if they have a private message inbox gets busy though.

You guys might be surprised how some celebrities play with their Facebook pages and interact with their fan base. George Takei is on Facebook several times a day and has a huge following. William Shatner on the other hand has fewer following and post about four times a month. Anne Rice post several times a day as well.

Takei and Rice comments in their updates quite often, but I dunno if they have a private message inbox gets busy though.

I subscribe to several "celebrity" feeds, like George Takai, Hungry Girl, Oscar the Blind Cat, Boo, and a couple of others and also occasionally interact with their pages through commenting on their postings ... I have never felt the need or inclination to try and send them personal messages though ;)

People who fellate celebrities are morons and they deserve to be separated from their currency.

well...
The only thing I would EVER have to say to ANY of them anyway.......

Just stick to doing what you do best....
1) pretending to be someone your not (Hollywood)
2) playing the music we want to hear (bands)

Just stick to that and don't deviate into politics or insanity and you'll be alright

I wanted to send Amanda Bynes a message: "drnk bear cavs no bathsalt LOL SOCKS where I put my bubbletongue jedi haters"

Oops! Viewing this message requires a premium Facebook Gold account. Join today!

they could charge if the celebrity responds you, otherwise is silly, why would I pay for not gettign a response?

I think we need a more solid definition of "Celebrity." Are we talking "Oscar award winning actor..." or "Sex tape star..."

Back