Disk to Image file - for VMware?

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
Ok i'm the first to say it. I'm pretty ignorant to virtualization. I know what it is and why etc... I don't know how to do anything on VMware. I'm seeking a solution for remote servers that have crap connections.

Here's the situation... I have remote sites with crappy connections that can't backup across the network. I have a 3rd party who has access to the server that I need to virtualize. Our IT center uses VMware.

Is there a method to boot a system up, image the system to external usb, and restore to dissimilar hardware?

Is there anything that would scrub the drivers and use resources in a pure virtual environment?

I know this is a multi part question but at the end of the day. I have to take this image file. Move it to a server "as the file". Encrypt the file using some software on my server via RDP. DOD 3 level the external device. Copy the encrypted file to the external drive and then mail the mother back to me in another state....

Anyone have suggestions? (on the imaging part to external usb for VMware)

-Dill

Well, I have to say, when I read your post, I wasn't real clear on what you're trying to do...

"Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Workstation simplifies and automates the recovery process, even when you need to recover to dissimilar hardware platforms. With optional Acronis® Backup & Recovery™ 10 Universal Restore™ software, administrators can quickly recover a server to dissimilar hardware or a virtual machine to maximize recovery flexibility while minimizing business disruption."

http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/workstation/

Back