Ok, so I've finally decided to break down and put together a new LGA 1155 system for gaming, and the only thing I'm having trouble settling on is the layout of my storage system.
Here is the motherboard I'm going after: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730
My main concern is the speed difference between the Intel and Marvell SATA III ports. I was originally planning on avoiding the Marvell ports altogether and getting a 64Gb Crucial m4 and a 128Gb m4 for each Intel slot. The 64Gb holding my OS and the 128Gb for online/frequently played games. This setup would give me TRIM on both drives and utilize the higher speed Intel ports.
Recently I've also been considering an alternative setup: 2 x 128Gb m4's in RAID 0 on the Intel ports with a 64gb m4 as an OS drive on a Marvell port, or perhaps even forgo the 64Gb drive completely and have the OS on the RAID. Which do you think is more important, the speed of the RAID 0 or sacrificing the speed for TRIM on the Marvell? Am I blowing the difference between the Intel and Marvell controllers out of proportions? According to [H]'s own benches the Marvell controller is about 60% of the speed (in reads) but will I even notice this in reality? I'm fairly confident in the garbage collecting abilities of the m4's but do you think TRIM is a necessity for an OS drive?
I also have some considerations to make regarding the four SATA II ports. Right now I'm looking at getting 3 of these drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697
I want to put three of those into a RAID 0 and use my current 40Gb Vertex 2 as a cache using the new handy dandy Intel SRT. Do you think that's worth pursuing? Should I ditch the SRT crap altogether and just go with four HDD's? I just need a terabyte or two worth of storage for random stuff (some games, movies, music, etc.) but I've got RAID capabilities on those four ports so I want to take advantage of that. All in all, I don't deal with any data that I'm not terrified of losing so the risks of RAID 0 aren't that big of a deal to me.
Now that I've got all of this typed out, it seems like a lot... hehe especially for my first post. Thanks for reading!
Here is the motherboard I'm going after: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730
My main concern is the speed difference between the Intel and Marvell SATA III ports. I was originally planning on avoiding the Marvell ports altogether and getting a 64Gb Crucial m4 and a 128Gb m4 for each Intel slot. The 64Gb holding my OS and the 128Gb for online/frequently played games. This setup would give me TRIM on both drives and utilize the higher speed Intel ports.
Recently I've also been considering an alternative setup: 2 x 128Gb m4's in RAID 0 on the Intel ports with a 64gb m4 as an OS drive on a Marvell port, or perhaps even forgo the 64Gb drive completely and have the OS on the RAID. Which do you think is more important, the speed of the RAID 0 or sacrificing the speed for TRIM on the Marvell? Am I blowing the difference between the Intel and Marvell controllers out of proportions? According to [H]'s own benches the Marvell controller is about 60% of the speed (in reads) but will I even notice this in reality? I'm fairly confident in the garbage collecting abilities of the m4's but do you think TRIM is a necessity for an OS drive?
I also have some considerations to make regarding the four SATA II ports. Right now I'm looking at getting 3 of these drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697
I want to put three of those into a RAID 0 and use my current 40Gb Vertex 2 as a cache using the new handy dandy Intel SRT. Do you think that's worth pursuing? Should I ditch the SRT crap altogether and just go with four HDD's? I just need a terabyte or two worth of storage for random stuff (some games, movies, music, etc.) but I've got RAID capabilities on those four ports so I want to take advantage of that. All in all, I don't deal with any data that I'm not terrified of losing so the risks of RAID 0 aren't that big of a deal to me.
Now that I've got all of this typed out, it seems like a lot... hehe especially for my first post. Thanks for reading!