"Disk read error" on installing XP x64

toaster83

n00b
So I recently had to upgrade my mobo, proc, and graphics card (and RMAed my PSU) recently for various reasons not worth getting into here. So I bought a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, Athlon 64 X2 4200+, and a PowerColor X800XL 256MB. After finding the necessary drivers, I decided to give XP x64 a try. But for the life of me, I can't get it to install.

What happens is such. I boot off the x64 CD (burned from ISO) into the install program. Go through the prompts. I install the OS on the primary partition of my Raptor 74GB. It formats, installs, and restarts. On restart, I get the following message.

A disk read error occurred.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Here's what I've tried to remedy the problem so far.

1. Checked to make sure it wasn't hardware by installing XP 32-bit. Worked without a problem.
  2. Tried installing on a partition that spanned the whole drive. No dice.
  3. Tried using the recovery console. Ran BOOTPART, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, MAP, etc. Also didn't work.
  4. I tried a different burned CD from a friend that successfully installed XP x64 in case it was a disc error. That one didn't work either.
  5. Ran CHKDSK /R on the Raptor. It said it found and fixed errors, but the problem remains.
  6. Tried loading the x64 version of the SATA drivers on a floppy and hitting F6 when prompted. Also didn't take care of the problem.

At this point, I am beyond stumped. I searched on Google for people with a similar problem as well as the [H], but couldn't find anything that addressed my issue and proposed a working solution. I understand that I could just install 32-bit XP, but at this point, I've become determined to defeat the error message of doom. Oh yeah, it's definitely a software message because if I change the hard disk boot order, I get the all caps NO SYSTEM DISK FOUND OMG DOOM WILL ENSUE!!! or something like that. Any insight or assistance would be immensely appreciated.

try 1 stick of ram, if you have 2

run memtest on your ram

this error is usually

bad cd
bad cable
bad ram

I'll burn a copy of UBCD off my friend's computer in a couple of days to test the memory.

The CD isn't bad because after trying the original, I tried a friend's that I burned for him and used to install XP x64 on his comp without a problem.

The cable is new out of the mobo box, and prior to nuking the boot drive, I did a bunch of data copying, which would have revealed such a problem already. Because of this, I also think it isn't a RAM issue.

However, I will try switching some cables around and see if that works. I'll also memtest the RAM to make sure it's still good.

Is there anyone else who has happened to run into this issue? Or has seen it or is an XP x6 guru? Why would XP 32-bit install without a hitch and XP x64 be an issue?

Back