Disk Drives in Disk Management

I have done a fresh install of Windows XP and disconnected all of my SATA drives except for the DVD drive and Hard Drive to install to. Install was a success and shutdown. I connected all of my other SATA drives, 2 HDD's and another DVD drive to my SATA ports. I boot up and now my C: drive is listed as Disk 1 under computer management while my D: drive is listed as Disk 0, and my E: drive is listed as Disk 3. My DVD drives are also flipped. My C: drive is connected to SATA port 1, D: drive to SATA2, and E: drive to SATA3. The DVD's are connected to SATA ports 4 and 5, yet the drive connected to SATA4 is listed as CDROM 1 not CDROM 0. Why is this occurring and how do I fix this?

You can reassign drive letters AFAIK in the disk manager. Why does it matter if the system boots and the system drive is C:?

You can reassign drive letters AFAIK in the disk manager. Why does it matter if the system boots and the system drive is C:?

Well I was just wondering why this is happening. I know I can change drive letters in disk manager. That's all.

I've had that happen on various systems, and never figured out why. As long as the drive letters are correct and the system boots, there's nothing to worry about.

Its dependent on the order the drives are presented to the OS by the BIOS when it is first queried. Port numbers don't really mean anything, especially on boards with multiple controller chips.

As mentioned above, if the system is working fine, and your volume letters are correct, it is fine.

Back