Disk Drive won't open...

CBlakeNS

Gawd
Hey guys and girls,

I have a hp dv6000 special edition, and I can't get my disk drive to open. There is constantly a green light on beside the open button. How can I get the drive to open? I don't think a cd is in there b/c nothing shows up under my computer.

Please let me know

Thanks,
Blake

try popping it open with the "emergency eject" pin in the hole. it might be just jammed.

Use a straightened paperclip. You'll meet resistance, but keep pushing. It's all mechanical. No power steering here. ;)

Actually, I just used some link from microsoft, and it is saying that my cd/dvd drive is not detected, however my green led light is always on on the drive. How do I go about seeing if all the wires are connected tight or how to make it read that I do have a cd/dvd drive?

Yeah it is, my computer isn't detecting any cd/dvd drive under "device managers." Any ideas of how I could go about trying to fix this?

Take the keyboard off. You should be able to see the connection to the drive.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hi- I just went through the problem you're having -- same symptoms, and the drive had died. HP/Compaq has great dis-assembly instructions for my Compaq X1200. See if you can find them for your model. On mine, 1 screw gets removed on the bottom, and then, as someone described, you use a paperclip (I used a tiny eyeglass screwdriver) in the emergency eject hole, and the gently pull the drive out. Is your computer still under warranty? If so, check with HP about a replacement. Otherwise, get a model/part# off the old drive, and start shopping. A caveat -- unless you get the same model/part#, and for a HP, the faceplate may not be the right size/shape.

I know how to take the cd/dvd drive out...that isn't a problem I just feel like the drive isn't bad if the front led light is on. However, that may be the case since under device manager the cd/dvd drive is not showing up. I will have to look further into it when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help.
Blake

Hi- I just went through the problem you're having -- same symptoms, and the drive had died. HP/Compaq has great dis-assembly instructions for my Compaq X1200. See if you can find them for your model. On mine, 1 screw gets removed on the bottom, and then, as someone described, you use a paperclip (I used a tiny eyeglass screwdriver) in the emergency eject hole, and the gently pull the drive out. Is your computer still under warranty? If so, check with HP about a replacement. Otherwise, get a model/part# off the old drive, and start shopping. A caveat -- unless you get the same model/part#, and for a HP, the faceplate may not be the right size/shape.

`I know it's maddening. The drive blinks constantly like there is a disc in it when there isn't, and isn't seen in "my computer". Looked for drivers and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive in device manager and physically. No change. I think it may be an issue with head mis-alignment? As soon as I popped in a used drive, that one worked, so I verified it wasn't a motherboard or connector issue. Just curious -- is your drive a Teac brand? If you find any more out about it, would you share here?

I haven't got a chance to look more into the problem because I actually do not use my cd/dvd drive all that often. However, I will look into it more when I get back up at school because I want to install windows 7 therefore I need the drive unless I use an external drive I guess. Anyways, I will try to keep you updated.

`I know it's maddening. The drive blinks constantly like there is a disc in it when there isn't, and isn't seen in "my computer". Looked for drivers and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive in device manager and physically. No change. I think it may be an issue with head mis-alignment? As soon as I popped in a used drive, that one worked, so I verified it wasn't a motherboard or connector issue. Just curious -- is your drive a Teac brand? If you find any more out about it, would you share here?

Back