disk boot failure ? WHAT ?????

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
my specs are

E6600 @ 3.33ghz
dfi 975 x/g
evga gtx260 192 65nm @ default
2x2gb crucial @ 740 4-4-4-12
2 x 74gb raptor @ raid 0 ( onboard ICH7 controller )
1 x WD6401AALS divided in 3 partitions ( onboard ICH7 controller )
1x WD200 + 1x WD3200KS both connected to this sata pci controller http://www.sunix.com.tw/it/en/Product_Detail.php?cate=2&class_a_id=34&sid=447
win XP SP2

My problems started when i got the gtx260, i could not use the top sata port because the card's dual slot cooler was obstructing it, so i figured " what the hell, why not replace the WD200 since it's old slow noisy and out of warranty, install windows on the wd640gb i got yesterday, back up wd200's data and let it RIP "

Well by the time i tried to install XP some very weird things happened, if my wd200 and 640gb were connected by the sata pci controller the setup would get stuck on the " windows in inspecting you hardware configuration " screen, so i disconnected them and the setup went along smoothly ( thankfully i got that floppy drive + raid drivers diskette handy )

Here's the weird thing now, my boot sequence is "first device : hard disk " everything else disabled, hard disk sequence 1. WD6401AALS 2. RAPTOR 3. bootable add-in cards, windows load with no problems IF i have nothing connected to the sata pci controller, if i connect the WD200 then the computer will stop responding when pci controller's BIOS info is shown, i remind you that this drive has NOTHING stored inside and it is formated

If i connect just the 3200KS then i will get a message saying " disk boot failure " if i connect both same thing happens, but if i connect any of them to my pci controller AFTER XP has finished loading then they will become visible in windows explorer and work just fine, any ideas ? this problem is driving me crazy !

If only i could use the top onboard sata port, i would just plug in 3200ks ditch the sata pci controller + WD200 and be happy

DonDon

[H]ard|Gawd
If you had a right angle sata cable, could you get it in the blocked port?

Link

Don

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
i actually figured out that i need to use a left angle, i'm not 100% sure that this will work, it's a very tight fit, if i use a right angle plug then the below sata ports will be blocked, i'm currently using a right to straight cable for connecting the wd640 to the third port ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21077 ) but with the right angle plug connected to my HDD not the sata port , problem is that i can't get it out, i'm pressing hard against the latching with no results, anyway i'll post my experiences when i'll eventually get a left angle cable for the fourth port.

But i still can't figure out why it doesn't load xp everytime i connect a drive to the sata pci controller :S

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I get it, it's just funny. :) And no, your idea seems best if the port is blocked.