Disconnection Issues w/ WRT54G

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone else having consistant disco issues? And if so what did you do to fix it?

Thus far i have:

Tried three diff firmwares ending with 3.03.9 ( A EU release )
Changed channels from 6 to 1 on wireless
and changed other various settings.

I'm also reading this is due to heat.

Any other input is appreciated.

maybe you have something interferring with your connection. How far away are you from the router? are you going through walls? Maybe a linksys range expander will help.

Maybe your problem is similar to mine?

For several days in a row, every 24 hours, my connection will go down. That tells me it must be an IP lease issue. It will go days without a single hiccup, but will then start crapping out again every 24 hours, for 2-3 days straight.

I have upgraded the firmware, but still have issues. My temporary fix involves releasing/renewing the routers IP address.

Not a distance issue, and it does it on a wired machine as well.

And no, its not a every now an then its ok.

I think with the latest FW upg it may have licked it, its been connected for about 2 hours, which is long for it ;)

Only problems I've had are when Comcast decides to do work, and I have to powercycle the modem and router. This happens pretty frequently these days.

Other than that, no problems, but I don't use Linksys official firmware either (dd-wrt all the way).

Had a third party fw that people on the linksys forums had recommended, but it didnt make a difference. I'm now at 4 hours of uptime, so i think i may have got it :)

I am using alchemy v1.0 and switched from channel 6 to 1, and that helped a bit, but it started disconnecting again today when i detected another network in my range. What's funny is that my computer is practically a meter away from the router, so it cannot be a range issue.

And regarding the IP lease, what value to I put for "Client Lease Time:" in order to get an unlimited lease time? I've seen this done before..

In the linksys you can only set it to "0" which is a 24 hour lease.
Even in 3rd party fw, thats all you get.

I also changed the channel. But i dont use the wireless machine. So today will be the true test. I'll let you know how it goes.

Looks like its still crapping out :(

Does anyone know of a good connection monitoring software?
Something i can see how long it stays online, etc

Im really leaning towards heat at this point.

Thanks for the link. Testing the heat theory now. With 4 water bottle lids, and some hot glue , i've greatly decreased the ambient temp of the router. HOPEFULLY this will do it. Will report back.

Back