Disconnected every time someone connects to the network! Help!!

Ovreel

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I've had this problem for a while now and it's really starting to get on my nerves at this point. I'm on a wireless network at my house, and every time someone boots up a computer and logs in, it kicks absolutely everyone else who is on the network.

I'm not sure what steps to take at this point, all I've been told to try it change the channel settings, a friend of mine says it's just the router itself. We use a 2wire 2700HG-D router.

Is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening with the router settings? Or do we just need a new router?

Sounds like a bad router, or the wireless access point component of the router at least. You could try changing the wireless channel just to see if it makes a difference.

I'd recommend disabling the wireless on the 2wire and picking up a WAP.

I've tried changing the wireless channels before and that didn't help but I'll try it again for sure. Could you elaborate on the WAP?

WAP = Wireless Access Point. It's like a wireless router without the router function. You'd let the 2wire continue to be the router, DHCP server, DNS server, etc, and then the WAP simply handles the wireless transmissions. I really don't know what a good consumer-level WAP would be since as of late I've only been dealing with Cisco WAPs and I doubt you'd want to pay $400+ for one of those. :(

Make sure your systems aren't running DHCP and only your router is. Make sure that your systems are set to obtain automatic IP assignments.

If that still does not work, replace the router/ap.

The best fix I've found for those 2Wire contraptions.... ===> garbage can.

Good DSL modem and router get put in place.

This used to happen whenever my wife's Vista machine would connect via wireless on my Linksys device. Even if I was attached via LAN cable it would drop my connection for about 20 seconds. Upgrading the firmware ended up fixing it for me.

Make sure your systems aren't running DHCP and only your router is. Make sure that your systems are set to obtain automatic IP assignments.

If that still does not work, replace the router/ap.

I tied turning off the DHCP but it doesn't seem to allow me to turn it off for each individual machine.

Your machines are running as DHCP clients, not DHCP servers. You WANT them to run as DHCP clients, or they wont pull down IPs from your router. The only reason one of your machines would be running as a DHCP server is if you're running specific software, or you're running a server OS with DHCP server specifically configured.

Seriously stop wasting time with the 2wire. You can either disable the wireless and add a WAP or wireless router. A wireless router would nearly guarantee a fix.

Back