Disaster

Grimmwor

Weaksauce
Today I am building a watercooled pc. I have built 5 of them over the years and never had a single problem, including leaks.

I was using a DFI NF4 Ultra-D motherboard and an AMD FX-60 cpu with a danger den water block. I leak tested all night and not a drop in sight. This morning I set out to install windows vista ultimate 64-bit and got all the way through the install, then after the first reboot, my mainboard wouldn't even post, just one long beep every 3 or 4 seconds. Unfortunately I can find my manual for this motherboard, but after searching the internet, one long beep is a memory problem. Although I did not rule out the memory as the culprit (i have 4 sticks of OCZ Platinum PC3200 and tried all 4 sticks), I was extremely skeptical this was the problem.

I reset the CMOS, no dice.

So I started pulling everything apart and to my horror saw some of the red PC Ice coolant I am using on my motherboard around my cpu. It wasn't much and it was not obvious where it was leaking from, but I am thinking it has to be somewhere on the cpu water block.

Anyway, now I am leak testing again.

In the meantime, it looks like there was a little coolant in the holes in the cpu socket and I can also see some on one corner of the cpu around the pins.

So, I have two questions:

Is it likely that my cpu is fried?

Can anyone recommend a way to clean the cpu?

I am not worried about the cleaning the motherboard becuase I am not going to use the DFI board anymore. I am actually going to switch over to a brand new ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe (was going to use for another build, but will go ahead and use it on this one).

Any constructive advice would be appreciated...

You can flush the CPU pins with 91% propanol and pray. That's about it. Don't be too shocked if it's fried though. That seriously sucks.

thanks man, that is actually exactly what I just did. I used a soft toothbrush and a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol and gently scrubbed it and there is no sign of the coolant. I carefully examined the pins with a magnifying glass and there appears to be no discoloration. I am keeping my fingers crossed...

I will post an update when I know more, but I think I will let my leak test continue for a long time now. Still can figure out where the coolant leaked...so I am worried that it's going to happen again. Weak Sauce!

is it possible for acrylic (or lucite) to bend? I am thinking no; it seems pretty hard and that it would crack or break before it bends.

still no leaks from my water block. I have even tried pulling the hoses and shaking it around. no leaks

I am wondering if it's possible that I tightened the retention screws/springs too tight and maybe that caused it to leak? it's a copper TDX block for Athlon64 from Dangerden, the one with the Lucite (clear) top.

Jeez, can't find the leak. That aint cool. Don't think I'd throw that on a cpu till I did find the leak. Is that the only block on your loop? Did you make sure all the screws on the block are tight? O-ring in good shape?

Do you use any UV dye in your fluid? Because I've found the best way (for me atleast to detect leaks) is to use a UV light so then I can detect tiny spots and dried up coolant quickly.

News about leaks always scare me because I just got into water cooling but I haven't put any live parts in my case yet (I'm using a dead video card, MB, processor, and HDD).

Well, good news, my cpu was completely ok. It turns out that the long single beep was coming from my 8800GTX! My PCI Express Power connector had become unplugged from my modular power supply. In a way, it was a stoke of fortune because it caused me to take everything apart and find the leak.

Anyways, I am up and running with Vista Ultimate 64bit. Got just under 10K on 3DMark06 with an 8800GTX and FX-60 running at 2.8Ghz and 4GB ram...

the original problem it turns out was the pcie power cord coming unplugged. as I started taking stuff off my motherboard, I twisted the cpu block around which caused the high flow fitting to come unscrewed a little bit from the water block. I am pretty sure the fluid spilled after I had already shut my machine down and was moving the waterblocks with the hoses still attached the the loop full of fluid.

in any case, i am up and running and haven't had any more leaks. I will say that I have been watercooing for years and this is the first leak I have ever had. Maybe after so much luck I was getting careless...

Well, that's great news. Nothing's damaged and you got a good reality check so you'll be a bit more careful in the future. Happy ending all the way around. Congrats.

Isn't that the best feeling in the world, when you find out everything was ok when you expected to have a trashed system. I've toasted a system and it's like somebody punched you in the stomach, especially after doing everything by the book with leak testing and setups and not skimping on parts. Congrats on the good luck.

the original problem it turns out was the pcie power cord coming unplugged. as I started taking stuff off my motherboard, I twisted the cpu block around which caused the high flow fitting to come unscrewed a little bit from the water block. I am pretty sure the fluid spilled after I had already shut my machine down and was moving the waterblocks with the hoses still attached the the loop full of fluid.

in any case, i am up and running and haven't had any more leaks. I will say that I have been watercooing for years and this is the first leak I have ever had. Maybe after so much luck I was getting careless...

Awesome news. Good to hear!

Back