Disappointed in Oblivion

wtburnette

2[H]4U
Am I the only one disappointed in how long it's taking for a patch to come out? I mean, come on. I loved the game, up to a point, but there were so many bugs and the gameplay got so repetitive that I just can't bring myself to even fire the game up anymore... :(

That's about how I feel. Not so much because of the patch. Just that it's redundant, so if you arn't a hardcore RPG player (Me), it's going to get old. For some reason I can play UT2k4 for 2 solid years and still enjoy flying around killing peeps, even though it's the same thing. But walking through caverns killing people and going on quests can only keep me interrested for so long.

ThirtySixBelow: It's funny you mention the hardcore RPG gamer. I'm by no means an RPG fan--heck, I couldn't get into Morrowind to save my life, and barely played any of NWN--but I can't seem to get enough of Oblivion. I've already played through it once and am on my second go-through. Sure, I know what's going to happen in all of the quest lines, but it's still very enjoyable to play things a bit differently this time. I'm already planning on going with a stealth marksman-type character next time through.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I really liked the game and loved Morrowind before it, but it just feels like the same damn thing over and over. There were some cool missions and such, but the majority of the gameplay seems to be, go into a fort, cave, ruin, camp that looks almost identical to the last dozen and fight pretty much the same battles over and over. Even the magical items don't seem as cool and unique as they did in Morrowind. Plus AI glitches and other mistakes cost the game the immersion factor at times, which is really too bad as so much else is done well.

I liked the game so much and hated the crashing on my PC that I bought it for Xbox 360. Aside from being lower resolution and slightly worse texture quality, it's much better on the 360. (it only crashes once every 4 hours or so as opposed to twice an hour quicksave after every three steps on the PC)

Zinn said:
I liked the game so much and hated the crashing on my PC that I bought it for Xbox 360. Aside from being lower resolution and slightly worse texture quality, it's much better on the 360. (it only crashes once every 4 hours or so as opposed to twice an hour quicksave after every three steps on the PC)

I'm planning to buy a 360 in the next month and am going to basically switch over as well. I get too many hardlocks on my machine, plus it will drive my gamerscore. :p

Baredor said:
I'm planning to buy a 360 in the next month and am going to basically switch over as well. I get too many hardlocks on my machine, plus it will drive my gamerscore. :p
hehe... my lil' bro played thru Obliv on his 360, while i played on my PC. the 30fps he gets, coupled with the MUCH longer load times on the 360 are the only negatives i really notice between the two versions. the controls work quite well for the game, so it's a pretty graceful transition, i'd say. enjoy that 360 when ya get it; i love mine.

I love Oblivion but Conter-strike is still my #1 played game with Oblivion #2 and probably mount&blade a distant third, havn't played really anything except for coutnerstrike and oblivion for months.

Oh and thier is a beta patch out, and It fixed my issues with the game, although the only ones I've encountered where self shadowing not working and my characture falling threw the ground and skills stop leveling after certain quest, but all those seem to have been fixed in the patch plus I get decent framerate at much higher quality then when the game was first released.

sculelos said:
I love Oblivion but Conter-strike is still my #1 played game with Oblivion #2 and probably mount&blade a distant third, havn't played really anything except for coutnerstrike and oblivion for months.

Oh and thier is a beta patch out, and It fixed my issues with the game, although the only ones I've encountered where self shadowing not working and my characture falling threw the ground and skills stop leveling after certain quest, but all those seem to have been fixed in the patch plus I get decent framerate at much higher quality then when the game was first released.

Yep, I knew about the beta patch. My gripe is that it's not yet "retail". I mean, come on, how long does it take? Also, I've read in several forums where the patch helped some people, but caused more problems for others, so I've decided to wait. My character is in the mid-30's level wise and it's getting to be the same ol, same ol. I'll probably just install it for my son and let him play, then start the game over and play it again as a different race/character type once the patch is actually released. Then we'll see if they actually fix some of the things that are bothering me.

BTW, I used to get a lot of CTD's and occasional restarts. Monitored the system very closely and noticed my mobo chipset temps seemed to get really high. I mounted an additonal fan and haven't had a crash since. I can play Oblivion for hours now with no problems.

Once you get to a higher level and do mostly everything, all RPGs get boring. This is especially true for single player games.

Back